Reinstall macOS Sierra back onto iMac

Reaction score
Hi guys I wonder if somebody can assist me, I'm trying to reinstall sierra back onto my imac but I need to flash it from another device as internet recovery wont do it. It says I've downloaded it too many time. So I have a very old airmac and the trouble is that when I download the dmg it wont mount on the airmac as I fear it's too old. Would that be the case or is there something I can do to make this happen. Airmac is running osx 10.5.8...maybe I could upgrade the os on the airmac first but not sure what the latest is its capable of running any help would be HUGELY appreciated tia!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is an "airmac"? Do you mean Macbook Air? Where are you downloading things from? A Mac running Leopard 10.5 doesn't have the App Store which is the only legit way of downloading any of these DMGs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi guys I wonder if somebody can assist me, I'm trying to reinstall sierra back onto my imac but I need to flash it from another device as internet recovery wont do it. It says I've downloaded it too many time. So I have a very old airmac and the trouble is that when I download the dmg it wont mount on the airmac as I fear it's too old. Would that be the case or is there something I can do to make this happen. Airmac is running osx 10.5.8...maybe I could upgrade the os on the airmac first but not sure what the latest is its capable of running any help would be HUGELY appreciated tia!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide more information about your iMac, e.g. go to the 'Apple' (left upper corner) > About This Mac which will show the pic below (this is from my MB Pro) - the top 3-4 lines are the important ones; or you can go to EveryMac and find the exact model using 'Lookup' information, such as the serial number. Thanks - Dave
Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.59.30 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.