Registering my iPhone 8+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
OK I have an apple ID I use on my iMac. Trying to get to using my iPhone more. Evidently I did not register my name on my iPhone as it does not show up on settings.
The iPhone does not recognize my iMac Apple ID...probably because I did not set it up on the iPhone. It says I would need another person (an Adult...I'm 79) to enter their Apple ID and password fist before I can create an Apple ID (should be able to use the same ID as my iMac). I've had this iPhone 8+ for about 5 yrs. Is there any way around this or do I have to go to an Apple store for help?

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
When you opening Settings at the top it should show show Apple ID, iCloud+, Media Purchases >. Touch that and it should show whatever Apple ID it is registered to right at the top. If that is not there then I would guess it was never set up. I hesitate to suggest just reset it and set it up again as new. Maybe call Apple first?

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Bill Gates Jr.

From your admission or memory, you probably didn't set up an Apple ID on the 8 Plus. Easily confirmed by following Lisa's excellent suggestion. The Apple ID will either be there or not. If not, then you didn't.

And I also concur with Lisa that you should get in touch with Apple.

If you live anywhere near an Apple shop, better going there than on the phone because they will probably require:

Proof of your identity
Name & Address
If you have it - unlikely - the receipt of purchase of the 8 Plus.
They may well ask you to verify your Apple ID, the one linked to your iMac; if they do it will be done in a way that is strictly confidential, even to Apple.

You will readily accept that Apple must be sure that you are who you say you are, and that the 8 Plus belongs to you.

That's why better done Face to Face than on the phone.

I'm truly sorry that you are in this position:cry:, especially at 79.

Message: always register a new Device and link it to your Apple ID at time of acquirement.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It shows Sign in to your iPhone (in Blue)
and below that
Set up iCloud. the App Store, and more

Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It shows Sign in to your iPhone (in Blue)
and below that
Set up iCloud. the App Store, and more

Pete

Great. Then do it. Sounds like a big sigh of relief from a 79 year old :) ;) (y)

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really. Don't know what the password is because I didn't do a password since I never did this before. I I can't input either Apple ID...earliar got a msg that my Apple ID was changed...did I do it or some hacker hmm so I went it an changed it again and I'm not sure what is the correct Apple ID...My new Apple ID has only 7 letters and numerals.. I thought 8 was the min
I did find the box the iPhone came in but no receipt. Believe I bought it from Best Buy inawaii around this time 5 yrs ago. Main reason was to use Waze to navigate in Clark county NV.
Unfortunately for me, I banged up my right knee when I fell from a treadmill and am confined to a rolling walker and...Got into a minor fender bender and my wife refuses to let me drive Had an MRI on my lower back and see the Doc on the 20th...my daughter is taking me. Still think the MRI should be on the right knee.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the greatest of respect for you, and given the complexity of what you have done, what you haven't done and what you might of done - - - I think you need to get Apple to sort this out for you.

Of course, we are here to help and genuinely wish to; but there are too many complications involved that we might exacerbate an already complex problem.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree. Unfortunately I can't drive, my wife does not drive and my daughter who takes me to medical appointments is on disability, has many medical issues of her own. I'll get to the Apple store eventually. I've lived with this phone issue for 5 years so the priority is lower then the car estimate. Thanks to all for their input.

Pete

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last but not least; your Apple ID is unique to your Apple account. Don't confuse the Admin Password you use to sign in on your Mac. On your Mac your ID will likely be your name plus a password, your Apple ID will be an email address and a different password.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for making that clear. I found some of that out about an hour ago. Tried logging in to my iMac. Apple ID not working so They asked for my name email and forget what else. Then they told me what my Apple ID was. From there I did a new password and it worked on the iPhone also. And my name shows up under Settings and my contacts are back!!. One additional questions 1) I assume I should use a password so no on can use my phone if I lose it. Is the 6 digit login that password? Is the fingerprint useful or problematic?

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
One additional questions 1) I assume I should use a password so no on can use my phone if I lose it. Is the 6 digit login that password? Is the fingerprint useful or problematic?
1. Yes, particularly if you have any sensitive data on the phone (Name, address, any financial data, passwords for other websites, etc.)
2. Yes, a six digit login on the iphone is a password. You could even make it alphanumeric, if you wanted, but I think most folks just stick with numbers.
3. I found, and still find, biometrics very useful. Fingerprints, facial recognition, etc., can log you in easily, but you do need to remember the password for when it doesn't work, or you have to restart the iPhone (biometrics don't work until you log in the "normal" way). I've not found the biometrics to be problematic at all.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've not found the biometrics to be problematic at all.

I agree ++. Jake's reminder about your 6-digit Passcode is important. In fact, Apple will sometimes out of the blue ask, you for your 6-digit Passcode. It has been suggested that not only is this an additional security, but regular use of the passcode helps you to remember it.

And as Jake also commented, it is usually required before, and always required after, an update or upgrade. And when restarting the iPhone.

So, make sure you don't forget the passcode.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Even if you choose alphanumeric for the passcode, you can still use only numbers

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can still use only numbers

Absolutely. I use an 8 numerical passcode (PC)

For others, perhaps, my reason for not using the 6 digit PC is that if my iPhone was stolen and someone was trying to guess my PC, if it's 6 digit, it says "enter your 6 digit passcode".

If, however, one chooses the option of an alpha-numeric PC, you can stay with numbers from anything from 7 upwards +/- alphabetical.

In that instance, when someone stole my iPhone it just says enter your PC. No mention of how many digits nor whether there are numbers and alphabetical letters. A lot more secure. Guessing all the numbers and letters of the alphabet (upper and lower case) - no chance.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
However you decide to go with your passwords, for your iPhone at least make sure it's backed up to a computer. That way if the passcode is forgotten it can be erased and restored from backup.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, Rod.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However you decide to go with your passwords, for your iPhone at least make sure it's backed up to a computer. That way if the passcode is forgotten it can be erased and restored from backup.
I think that if the backup was made from a PC protected phone, you need the PC to restore. Otherwise, that is the easiest bypass in the history of bypasses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if you choose alphanumeric for the passcode, you can still use only numbers
You can use letters if you pick "Custom Alphanumeric Passcode." I just did it on my iPHone, so I know it works.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got my fingerprint working. How do I exceed the 6 digits ? How do I backup to my iMac so I can change the passcode from my computer?

Pete

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I exceed the 6 digits ?

Underneath the offer to create a 6-digit Passcode, there is an option to use an alphanumeric Passcode.

Choose that. You now can use digits only or alphanumeric only, or a combination of both. In my case I chose to stick with digits and created an 8-digit Passcode. You can do what you want; but remember it!!

How do I backup to my iMac so I can change the passcode from my computer?

Attach your iPhone to your iMac by USB cable or similar depending on your iPhone.

Then Open Finder. On the far left you should see your iPhone listed. Click on that. Wait till it populates the screen to the right. Then, from the choices available, choose Backup. The first time takes a while and you should be asked to choose a Password to protect your iPhone. This is different from your passcode etc. It's unique to your backup.

If you come unstuck, I can create some screenshots to guide you.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.