Refurbished iMac's on the Apple Store!

Reaction score
Quick question...

There are 3 different years of iMacs on the Apple Store (refurbished section); 2012, 2013 and 2014. The 2014 is obviously the 5K iMac model and the 2013 is the "refreshed iMac' models (correct me if I'm wrong) but the 2012 models...I don't understand why these models cost more than the 2013 models that have the same specs with lower graphic card in them? Can anyone explain...I know they have 802.11N wifi instead of ac found in the 2013 models but I just don't get why they are more expensive when they are an older model than the 2013's are.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please be specific which models you are concerned/confused about. Then we will be better able to decipher things.:)

But for starters...be mindful of the details. Such as:

- display size 21.5" or 27"
- amount of ram
- amount of storage
- type of storage (HD, Fusion HD, or SSD)
- CPU speed

* Nick

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I think you like to pick on me lol, I just figured one could head over to the Apple Store and see them, there is only a few, it's obvious as to what is 2012 and what is 2013.

No…I'm not picking on you.;) But if I've inadvertently/accidentally given you a response that was a similar sort of response that I given before…maybe that's because you're guilty of repeatedly posting unclear questions.:(

I did visit the refurbished area…but there were a lot of models there (there weren't "just a few"). It's always hard to know exactly what goes on in people's minds…so when things aren't clear…it's usually a good idea to ask for clarification.:)

What's the point of me answering a question that you may not be asking?? There were too many iMac models listed in the refurbished area for me to know 100% which ones you were curious about.

You also have to realize that the inventory in the refurbished area does change. So it's always possible what you were looking at was different from what I was looking at.

If it had been clear which iMac models were of concern. An answer could have been supplied 7 hours ago.:)

When you have a question…the easier you can make it & the clearer you can make it for others interested in helping. The more likely you will get replies…the more accurate the replies will be…and the faster you will get replies. :)

I'm not trying to be a "hard-nose" about this.;) I try to answer as many questions I can each day…with as much detail as possible to make it a memorable reply. Make it easy for me & others to provide replies by providing lots of detail. And in this case…the specific iMac models of interest.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
and you have to notice something you are talking about a older model most of the older models cost more because you can upgrade the ram and the hard drive and apple's latest models don't allow this

OP
D
Reaction score
OK well since nobody seems to know, the latest 27" model would be the 2013 model, correct? Besides the Retina model that was released in 2014.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK well since nobody seems to know...

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion?? I asked if you could provide the specific models that are creating the confusion...and then we could go from there.:)

...the latest 27" model would be the 2013 model, correct? Besides the Retina model that was released in 2014.

Yes that would be correct. Discounting the 2014 27" retina iMac...the Late 2013 27" iMac would be the newest non-retina 27" iMac.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks, the link I sent some of the sold today already.

Yes...that's the way it is sometimes with the refurbished area. Things can change...and change quickly.

But as far as the reasons for the price differences. What I mentioned in post #2 of the thread is all that is needed to figure things out:

- Amount of installed ram
- Size of installed storage
- Type of installed storage (HD, Fusion Drive, SSD)
- Speed of CPU

Are the important things that determine the price of the computers. The differences in graphics hardware are really not that big of a determining factor. Unless...the graphics hardware for a specific configuration is an upgrade for that model.

Thus an upgraded 2012 iMac could easily cost more than a stock entry level 2013 iMac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you want particular model with certain improvements, watch every couple of hours and when it appears GRAB IT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.