Refixing screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Recently my screen came loose. I got some T-7000 to reglue it but, after a couple of weeks, it has come loose again. This is either because i didn’t apply enough glue or because i hadn’t cleaned the surfaces adequately. Is there a solvent that will remove the glue without damaging the watch?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When I need to strip away "goo" or adhesive, I've found that Goo Gone seems to work pretty well. You might have something similar in the UK?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's their web site:

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. The problem is that once T-7000 has cured it's harder to remove. Removal prior to curing can best be done with acetone (nail polish remover for example) but it may not be strong enough. Epoxy thinners might do the trick but might damage the path plastic. Goo Gone is available, at a price, in the UK but, without knowing what its main ingredient is I can't be sure that it will do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
GooGone will soften some glues. I doubt seriously if it will work on epoxy. It's mostly useful to get rid of the residue from removing stuck on labels, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't work on epoxy. Acetone will work to an extent and epoxy thinners will likely damage the plastic parts.

I was under the impression that Apple was providing free repairs for the problem? Have you contacted them? Not sure if Apple stores are open in the UK since many stores here in the US have closed again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be a swelling battery pushing on the screen from below. I'm with Charlie, give Apple a call to see if they can repair it. I don't know what the impact will be from your gluing experiment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Goo Gone is available, at a price, in the UK but, without knowing what its main ingredient is I can't be sure that it will do the job.

I believe one of the main gradients of Goo Gone and I at least in this country is xylol or Xylene, also chemically known as dimethylbenzene.

One of its abilities was the removal of paint, including latex paints, from plastics without damaging them.
But one always needs to test first on a small area.

EDIT:
Can I use Goof Off® Pro Strength Remover on my microwave to remove sticker residue?
Use Goof Off® Heavy Duty Removers instead. It is safe on most plastics and finished surfaces.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It won't work on epoxy. Acetone will work to an extent and epoxy thinners will likely damage the plastic parts.

I was under the impression that Apple was providing free repairs for the problem? Have you contacted them? Not sure if Apple stores are open in the UK since many stores here in the US have closed again.

I have established that it was the battery that caused the problem in the first place. Unfortunately some of the plastic round the top of the screen has broken off. I will contact Apple but I suspect that my repair attempts may have invalidated any warranty of a free repair as I will need a new screen.

Alternatively I would consider upgrading to a Series 3 but would like to know if this problem with welling battery applies to all Apple watches or only the earlier ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All lithium batteries CAN swell. In any and all devices, including your Tesla, if it has them. It's the chemistry of the battery. Any impurity can cause it to make hydrogen gas. By impurity I mean a few hundred atoms in a clump, not any major impurity.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks Charlie & Jake,
I thought I had already replied but my reply seems to have vanished into the ether. I may have blown it with Apple because it was only yesterday when somebody pointed out that the battery had swollen that I looked on a 'How to' on Youtube which explained that this is what had cause the screen to come loose in the first place. Unfortunately, because I had use T-7000 which is stronger than the original glue, some of the plastic got detached when it came loose the second time. This almost certainly means that Apple would charge me for a whole new screen as well as a new battery to ensure that the inside is sealed. As its a Series 1 it probably isn't worth getting it repaired professionally. As I can get a battery for about £12.50 plus a few iFixit plastic tools I may've a go myself. I am also looking at used Series 3.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your first reply did come through okay although it was a bit difficult to read for some reason. The fonts making up the reply were faded out and partially hidden. I was, however, able to read it.

As for your AW Series 1, you may be better off purchasing a used Series 3 if it's in good condition and has a limited warranty. I don't know if the later Series AWs are experiencing battery swelling but I suspect climate and usage have a lot to do with that problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.