Redirection to Web Authentication

Reaction score
Hi,

I started getting my personal MacBook Air to work. On the first day, I connected to the Open WiFi network provided by the company to let the employees use their personal devices. Any device can connect to this WiFi with out any WiFi password, but before opening any site, but 'Web Authentication' is needed before browsing any site. i.e., when a device tries to browse, it will first be redirected to a Web Authentication page. Once the user enters Web Authentication 'User Name/Password', one can browse. All was well during the first couple of days, but during the last two days I'm seeing that redirection to Web-Authentication page is not happening at all. I'll just get the message 'You are not connected to internet' whenever I try to browse. I restarted the browser, restarted Mac, cleared browsing history etc.., but I still have the same issue. (I don't have this issue with other devices like my Android phone). Could som one plz help me ?

Thanks
Rao

Reaction score
They probably use a Cisco ganged router network where the router address changes from time to time and it doesn't re-negotiate with the Mac. Try turning Wi-Fi off then going to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Wi-FI. Select the network name in question and click on the minus sign under the list to remove the network. Turn Wi-Fi back on and see if you can connect to it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I had already tried your suggestion, but with out success. One interesting & surprising observation I made is that there're a few spots in the office where it works (i.e., there's a redirection to Authentication page) ! i.e., at (& around) my desk, it does not work, but at a few desks around 100 meters from my desk, it works !
I found that the IP Addresses assigned to my Mac gets are different between the working spot & non-working spot.. Further investigation is on..

OP
S
Reaction score
It y appear to be strange, but I was told by Sys Admins that the Wifi 'Signal strength' is low at my Desk, so my Mac is not actually able to connect to WiFi Network. They also showed me that the IP Address which it gets at my Desk is different than the IP Address it gets at 'working' locations. Being not a core Networking expert, I'm not able to understand how I'm getting a 'Connected' indication on Mac, how at all Mac is able to get an IP address etc.. when it is not able to connect to Wifi network due to poor Signal strength.

M

MacInWin

You are probably connecting to some other WiFi network close to your location. If you are in an office building, it could be a neighboring business next door or on an adjacent floor. Since the OTHER network is stronger than your own business' wifi, you connect there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.