Redirection to Ixisivomer

paulsmuk

Reaction score
Hi, first post, i have had my mac book years with no problem but recently have found when I click on posts on facebook it get redirected to Ixisivomer<dot.com> or update-mac<dot.com>, i have got clean my macx but that hasnt found anything, I have also tried malwarebytes but nothing any ideas on how to stop this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi, first post, i have had my mac book years with no problem but recently have found when I click on posts on facebook it get redirected to Ixisivomer<dot.com> or update-mac<dot.com>, i have got clean my macx but that hasnt found anything, I have also tried malwarebytes but nothing any ideas on how to stop this?
This page has a link to removing that piece of malware, It's not a virus in the true sense of the word but does qualify as malware.

The page is suggesting downloading a piece of software to remove it but it also has directions to remove it manually.

Not sure how the other post got borked up but the link is fixed now.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Firstly, a warm welcome to these forums.
A little more info about your MB will help us to know what versions of software you are using so the data from About this Mac under the Apple Menu would help, we don't need your serial number, just Model, Year and macOS version.
The link, you are looking for in slydude's post is here in the post above Screenshot 2023-04-09 at 10.10.09 am.png ;

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I edited post #2 to clarify things a bit.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Not very nice it seems. I have done a bit of searching on how to remove it.

Ixisivomer Mac – What Does It Do?​

Ixisivomer can install unwanted toolbars, advertisements, and other elements to your browser, resulting in your Mac running slower and behaving erratically. This is done to maximize the amount of ads seen, which can include changing your home page, new tab and default search engine.

• Highlighted text on the pages you visit.
  • Interruptive banner ads.
  • Redirects
  • Pop-ups with video and/or sound.
  • Changed search results to show ads instead of relevant sites.
  • Intrusive push notifications.
This app may use cookies and other tracking objects that can collect a range of data, including personally identifiable information.

To my surprise SpyHunter seems to be the recommended way to remove ixissvomer with manual removal methods being complex and vague at best. see; How Can I Remove Ixisivomer.com Mac Virus? (Solved) - www.cleanpcinfections.com
Makes you wonder if the two are somehow connected. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. :unsure:

Personally I would try downloading the free and well respected DetectX anti malware app and see if it can remove it at;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OP
P

paulsmuk

Reaction score
Firstly, a warm welcome to these forums.
A little more info about your MB will help us to know what versions of software you are using so the data from About this Mac under the Apple Menu would help, we don't need your serial number, just Model, Year and macOS version.
The link, you are looking for in slydude's post is here in the post above View attachment 38169 ;
i am running monterey 12.6.3 on an early 2015 macbook air, I have installed and run spyhunter but it doesnt seem to find any threats the same with malwarebytes & cleanmymacx, I have also found backservice in security & privacy/ privacy, it is looking like i will have to take it in the shop.

OP
P

paulsmuk

Reaction score
this only happens on the facebook site and I dont seem to have any problem with other websites, I dont even know if it is a virus, malware or what but all the "cleaner" apps I have used dont seem to find anytihng.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems like this malware is made up of a number of parts so it is possible that a cookie has been downloaded to your browser that may not be detected by anti malware apps. If it is a cookie or element added to your default browser you can easily test this by downloading a different browser, eg Brave or Firefox making it your default and opening a Facebook link from your email client. Obviously if you are not redirected it's a problem with your regular browser. If you are then it's software installed somewhere in your computer.
I prefer Brave because it does not require subscription and has excellent defences against adware and tracking software plus easy deletion of cookies and other site data.
Alternatively you could just delete all cookies from your current browser if that is Safari.
The point is, the developers of these malware programs get smarter at avoiding detection just as the apps that detect them get smarter at detecting and removing them. Its a constant battle of catch up.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.