Recovering Deleted File

Reaction score
Weird one here. I created a folder. Put it in my doc. I deleted one file from it and emptied the trash.

Now the folder looks like [screenshot below]. Nothing happens when I click on it. I tried to open a Word doc that was in it via opening word and doing "Open Recent". The file could not be located.

Any way to recover the file? Thanks

Attachments

• Deleted.png
    Deleted.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 11

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try to recover a deleted file by using data recovery software. However, most data recovery software is expensive to buy. If you have no backup of the deleted Word file, you can try recovering it that way.

Data Rescue 4 I believe they have a trial version you can test with. There are also other data recovery applications you can try. Do a Google search.

And for future reference: Open Word preferences, click on backup, and select "Always make a backup copy". Trying to recover lost documents in MS Office is an exercise in futility without a backup.

OP
M
Reaction score
You can try to recover a deleted file by using data recovery software. However, most data recovery software is expensive to buy. If you have no backup of the deleted Word file, you can try recovering it that way.

Data Rescue 4 I believe they have a trial version you can test with. There are also other data recovery applications you can try. Do a Google search.

And for future reference: Open Word preferences, click on backup, and select "Always make a backup copy". Trying to recover lost documents in MS Office is an exercise in futility without a backup.

worked. THANK YOU!!!!!

OP
M
Reaction score

Just one more question. Data Rescue worked, but it required me to plug in an external hardrive. The external hardrive's contents have been erased and replaced by the Data Rescue software, it seems. Is there a way to undo this now that I've recovered the file? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchased the program as a download and did not order the USB thumb drive version, I believe you can remove what it placed on the external hard drive as long as you have the original download image.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.