Recovered files and folders now Read Only

Reaction score
My husband had to have his files recovered from his old computer. It took several days for the repair shop to recover and download them from the (very old) Time Capsule, but at least most, if not all, were recovered.
Now, though, when he tries to open those downloaded from the external onto which the repair shop put them, they are all Read Only.
So far, we have been able to work around that for most of the files. However, for some reason, his computer doesn't always want to accept the fact that my husband is the Administrator of the computer, and the files/folders. I know the IP address is different, but he is using the same username/password, etc. that he used on his previous computer.
Is there a way to make all those files/folders, at one time, just open without having to go through the hassle of making copies, renaming the copies, and hoping THAT method works? He does sometimes get the message that he doesn't have administrative privileges to even copy the files/folder.
And, before I'm told to change the permissions, we HAVE done that, and that doesn't even help some times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Open the files and ”save as” using a different name.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If all the files are in a single folder, you can do this easily with a Terminal command.

Open a Terminal window.
Code:
$ cd <grab path from Finder and drag it here>
$ chown -R <username> *

The username is what you use to login. This will set all files/folders to be owned by said username. Now verify if things look good.

Within Unix/Linux like OS', with macOS being one of them, the username being the same between two machines isn't enough, it's actually the UID (User ID) that matters. Say a computer has 2 users, and depending on the order of creation, the UID will be in one order, if the sequence wasn't followed on another machine, the usernames will match, but the UIDs will be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Or, you can use Finder and locate the folder in which these file exists. Right click (CMD-click) on the folder and then Get Information. At the bottom will be a "snaring & Permissions" window. Click on the lock in the lower left of the panel then provide an admin password. Now you can change the permissions to add his account, or to give his account read and write access. Below the window is a circle with three dots. Click that and choose "Apply to enclosed items..." and click on OK in the window that opens. It will take a while for all of the files and folders within to be changed, but it should do all of them for you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake; the OP said in post #1:

"And, before I'm told to change the permissions, we HAVE done that, and that doesn't even help some times".

Of course, we have no idea exactly how the OP did this and it may be that the correct method you stated will do the job.

And Ashwin's Terminal solution is another option.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

"And, before I'm told to change the permissions, we HAVE done that, and that doesn't even help some times".

Of course, we have no idea exactly how the OP did this and it may be that the correct method you stated will do the job.

Ian
Ian I did read that, but since the statement implies that it worked at least some of the time, it's worth using the Finder approach as it has always worked for me when I've faced the situation.

OP
T
Reaction score
If all the files are in a single folder, you can do this easily with a Terminal command.

Open a Terminal window.
Code:
$ cd <grab path from Finder and drag it here>
$ chown -R <username> *

The username is what you use to login. This will set all files/folders to be owned by said username. Now verify if things look good.

Within Unix/Linux like OS', with macOS being one of them, the username being the same between two machines isn't enough, it's actually the UID (User ID) that matters. Say a computer has 2 users, and depending on the order of creation, the UID will be in one order, if the sequence wasn't followed on another machine, the usernames will match, but the UIDs will be different.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. I'm not real comfortable in Terminal, but if it works, that will make him happy! ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
Or, you can use Finder and locate the folder in which these file exists. Right click (CMD-click) on the folder and then Get Information. At the bottom will be a "snaring & Permissions" window. Click on the lock in the lower left of the panel then provide an admin password. Now you can change the permissions to add his account, or to give his account read and write access. Below the window is a circle with three dots. Click that and choose "Apply to enclosed items..." and click on OK in the window that opens. It will take a while for all of the files and folders within to be changed, but it should do all of them for you.
Oops! Forgot I can do that! Thanks for the reminder. I'll give that a try, too.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ian I did read that, but since the statement implies that it worked at least some of the time, it's worth using the Finder approach as it has always worked for me when I've faced the situation.

Ian
Did it by clicking Info, unlocking (which won't always work, also), changing permission to Read/Write.

I just don't understand the whole "Administration" thing - he IS the Administrator. He was the Admin on the previous computer, with same Username and Password. I am not quite sure I understand about "order of creation, the UID will be in one order, if the sequence wasn't followed on another machine, the usernames will match, but the UIDs will be different.", but I'll try the suggestions given.

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just don't understand the whole "Administration" thing - he IS the Administrator. He was the Admin on the previous computer, with same Username and Password.

I'm certainly not macOS geek, but the way I understand this administrator thing and how it works is that the chief admin is actually referred to as Root who is the head honcho of everything and in control of all other administrators who need to have a username and an ID with various permissions for various files.

There are various methods for a normal admin user to actually log in to their computer as Root but is not a recommended place to be or go if one doesn't know what they are doing..

Sort of like working with Terminal on Steroids while wearing a blindfold. :)

I repeat... NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A NORMAL USER!!!

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.