Recommendation for a new Laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I need to buy a new laptop as my old one.... is old! I don't do much in video anymore so I don't think I need tremendous speed or storage memory & I prefer to back up to a backup hard drive than us iCloud. I'm going to sell my 27" Imac since I rarely use it & keep my old laptop with OS 10.6.8 for using older apps like older versions Photoshop & iMovie HD that are so much easier to use for non HD video.

1. Having said that I think the MacBook Pro 13" with retina display seems like the best choice. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK?

2. Where's the best place/price/treatment to buy a "new" Apple Laptop. Best Buy allows you to return the computer within a short period of time if you are unhappy with it, or to avoid having to have Apple repair it if defective when new. Not likely a problem, but nice to know.

Here's what I'm thinking about buying below.... opinions/suggestions??? Where to buy it?

P.S. What's a 24" iMac, mid 2007, 6 GB memory worth. Very few hours on it. Don't use it much. Worth selling, or might as well keep it based on what it will bring??? I suspect it's not worth selling even though it's a very clean, perfect machine. Are there any sellers that would give a reasonable trade in value on a older iMac like this?

Thanx in advance for any opinions!

Mr. D

Apple Laptop.png

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1. Having said that I think the MacBook Pro 13" with retina display seems like the best choice. WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK?

I'm sure a 13" retina MacBook Pro will fit your needs fine. Amount of ram & storage wasn't mentioned. These would be the other two considerations to decide on. Ram is not upgradeable after purchase…and the storage is supposed to be not upgradeable (but it can be)…and is expensive after purchase.

2. Where's the best place/price/treatment to buy a "new" Apple Laptop. Best Buy allows you to return the computer within a short period of time if you are unhappy with it, or to avoid having to have Apple repair it if defective when new.

Unless you can find it for less somewhere else (on sale)…Apple store best place to purchase. Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy.

P.S. What's a 24" iMac, mid 2007, 6 GB memory worth.

eBay sold listings are showing something in the neighborhood of $150 - $250 (some more).

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

1. Memory not being available after purchase is a new situation to me. Can you explain why?

How much Ram would you expect I would benefit from if I order/purchase more? I've got 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM on this old Macbook 5.2 with a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2Duo & it seems to get along pretty well. More speed of course is always nice!

2. Two inches bigger screen seems to be the only advantage to 15" version MacBook Pro. I can afford the extra money, but it doesn't seem like a good value for just 2" of screen size. Am I missing anything of value there other than the screen size?

See full comparison of the two laptops at url below:

http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/re...-pro-retina-13&product2=macbook-pro-retina-15

3. I'm assuming the 1TB Flash storage is the amount of what used to be the amount Hard Drive Storage? I was around using the 1st Apple computers when Donald Trump invented the internet.... so I'm doing some whining as I catch up with the new changes in Apple products. I retired from teaching 16 years ago & negotiating (computing) contracts for 1500 teachers & have not needed computers as much! LOL!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
1. New Macbook Pro's have the memory soldered in and is not upgradable. Also installing an SSD (flash drive) is a challenge. Apple has gone toward a non-consumer upgradable design here lately so order what you want now.
- It is recommended frequently on the forum that 8GB of memory is the minimum. If you plan to keep this MBP for many years and can afford it, I recommend 16GB. With the ever changing internet and app requirements along with OS updates, more and more memory is being used. With less memory - say 4GB, the OS will swap data with the SSD which can cause a slower system.

2. The larger screen is a personal preference. I have a 13" MB Air and it is fine for internet, email and the occasional Photoshop touch up. But when it comes to heavy work - video, photoshopping, etc I love the largest screen I can find.

3. A 1TB Flash storage is also known as an Solid State Drive (SSD). Very fast and yes, it takes the place of the mechanical hard drive.

Oh, and that was Al Gore who "took the initiative to create" the internet. :*

I retired from teaching 8 years ago, also negotiated teacher contracts, and used Windows computers. It took retirement to get me to come over from "the dark side." ;D

Also check out the refurbished store. They all come with full year of Apple care and are eligible for extended apple care.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Lisa

Last edited:
OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Lisa! Small world! I'm out to buy a laptop right now! Al Gore, & I thank you! I wonder where we would be today if Gore had been allowed to win the election..... & yet some will still vote for Donald Trump! Frightening!

Later in the day.... I bought the 15" Macbook Pro with 16 Gigs. I don't think they make a 8 Gig model anymore. Labor day sale at Best Buy included the smallest iPad with it for the sales tax on the iPad. It's the outgoing model worth around $269.00. Maybe I can sell it for $150. Who knows? I don't think I'm an iPad guy!

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am very happy with my 13" MacBook Pro Retina and especially happy with the inclusion of the HDMI outlet.
2016-05-29 11:38:26.jpg

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you use the HDMI outlet with your TV to watch movies or whatever on your Laptop? I'm ups late learning the new stuff on my new laptop!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well Mr.D, there are really two uses for the HDMI outlet. One is to create an extension of your desktop which may be good for say, lectures or displaying home movies or slideshows of your photos, a bit like Super 8 used to be but basically anything you can display on your laptop you can have on your TV.
I use mine to display downloaded movies and TV series not available where I live at the moment. We don't have Netflix in this country and I refuse to pay for Fox Sports when most of what I want to watch is "free to air" at home.
This involves a lot of borderline illegal activity but no worse that buying any of the myriad of illegal, poor quality, bootleg ripoffs available here and has a much smaller carbon footprint.
So yes, I get a lot of use out of mine.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Rod! I'm trying to get used to the latest OS. I used to tell my students their greatest challenge will be dealing with change! You Aussies have something you will trade us for Donald Trump? Anything, a pit viper of some kind, anything! LOL! I suppose you have your own problems!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You Aussies have something you will trade us for Donald Trump? Anything, a pit viper of some kind, anything! LOL! I suppose you have your own problems!

I dare say you'll have trouble finding any country willing to come up with any low life to trade or even consider and the same goes for any of his supporters that is also amazing for most countries to even consider any sort of trade for… forget it… and please don't call me bias, just honest!!! :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.