Recommend a multi-function printer for home use?

Reaction score
I need a printer for using at home.

Nothing fancy.

Would like a scanning function.

I am drowning in recommendations.

Anybody have an first-hand recommendations?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I began doing similar research, got overwhelmed and stopped. :)

You should first list out the features you really want, your budget and then go with reputable brands that have a good track record.

From a brand perspective, i would recommend Canon, HP and Brother. They offer a good variety of laser (B&W and color) and ink printers that fit a variety of budgets.

I'm currently using a Canon 8380cdw that's about 7 or so years old, but is functioning well enough for me not to rush into an upgrade.

Some of the features I'm looking for in my next printer, in addition to everything my current printer does, will be:
AirPrint (we are an Apple household)
USB 3.0 support
Ability to scan wirelessly (if that's even a thing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I need a printer for using at home.
Nothing fancy. Would like a scanning function. I am drowning in recommendations.

Anybody have an first-hand recommendations?

Hi Trolle - this is an oft-asked question w/ most posters (including myself) giving their personal experience w/ their printer(s), the discussion ending up w/ dozens of brands/models being suggested and usual a mess of confusion. You obviously have likely searched the topic (like most of us) and are utterly confused w/ the numerous and often contradictory recommendations - right?

Well, I'd agree w/ Ashwin on his considerations - I currently am using a Canon Pixma MF printer purchased in 2013 and can say that it has worked for us and consumes a LOT of ink - you'll get into the controversy here of buying Canon's expensive ink vs. generic options, or for that matter of any of the inkjet printers inks; I also have a newer Brother B&W laser printer which we try to use most of the time (toner is cheaper in my experience). The only thing I can add relative to a MF inkjet printer is that there are now a number of 'ink options', i.e. using multiple 'expensive' cartridges vs. ink reservoirs - that would be important to me if I need a replacement. Otherwise, you will need to just 'bite the bullet' and buy a printer w/ the features you need that's w/i your budget (well, the printer is cheap, the ink expensive!). Good luck! Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Ashwin
Ability to scan wirelessly (if that's even a thing)

FWIW Ashwin, our Canon PIXMA MX922 AIO MF which is set up only for wireless use allows it to be used as a scanner from any of our Macs OR from the Canon MX922 unit itself and its "SCAN" LED display window.

As for the OP's AIO printer question, make sure it is Mac OS compatible.

My printer purchases are often based on what the local store is selling for the best reduced price and/or on sale. The better the reduction, the more I'm interested!!! But reading some of the reviews helps as well. :Smirk:

PS: We use good generic XXL inks which are a fraction of the price of Cannon's equivalents.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
I need a printer for using at home. ...

Would like a scanning function.

If you need color, especially if you want to print in photo quality this is what I've been recommending:

Canon PIXMA TR8520 ($100)
Access Denied

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...xma-tr8520-wireless-office-all-in-one-printer

If you would prefer an all-in-one based on a black and white laser printer, almost any Brother will do:

All-in-One Printers - Inkjet & Laser All-in-One Printers for Home - Brother[New]&f:function=[Print%2C%20Scan%2C%20Copy]&f:technology=[Black%2FWhite%20Laser]

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to Mac's but my technology challenged wife has used an iPhone and iPad for many years. My older HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP477fnw works great with her iPad and with my Mac Mini and iMac. I doubt it has Airprint but I installed HP Printing apps on her iPad and that allows her to print no problem. Also, HP has a nice scanning app for Mac OS.

My problem with inkjets is we can go many weeks without using the printer and then it dries up. I keep one inkjet for my wife's quilt labels. The Epson Workforce 645 does well even after a month or two of not being used. The maintenance functions always get it back printing well, if I even need to use them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.