recent change: website now requiring passwords to be unlocked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
There are two accounts with our public library's website. Until recently, I could switch back and forth between them and only needed to enter the password for the account, which is just a click, as the passwords are saved. Now, each time I get a notice that passwords are locked, and I am required to enter the Admin password for the Mac.

The website itself is of no help with this. I can't ask a question, and this issue is not one of the Help topics.

I have tried unlocking passwords in Safari when on the Library's login page, not in response to the notice, but from the menu (Safari>Preferences and Safari>Settings for this Website). The latter one does not lead to that opportunity. I have tried just unlocking passwords system wide, I think. But now I can't seem to find where I was when I thought I was doing that.

I tried a search for "mac unlock passwords" but didn't find anything that was helpful.

How can I prevent this behavior, and get it back to the way it was before? I wonder if it has anything to do with installing the 2021-001 Security Update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Check Safari/Preferences/Autofill to make sure "User Name and Passwords" is checked.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that is checked. Thanks.
:(

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone have another idea of something to try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
As far as I know, you are always required to use your login password to unlock Safari Passwords. I also have multiple websites with different login credentials required. You may have to change the login password(s) for the library website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As far as I know, you are always required to use your login password to unlock Safari Passwords. I also have multiple websites with different login credentials required. You may have to change the login password(s) for the library website.
I only have to use an admin password if I want to see the passwords as they are stored. To use them for logging into a site, they just appear. That's how it has always worked for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now, each time I get a notice that passwords are locked, and I am required to enter the Admin password for the Mac.

Is this happening only with the Library web site or is it also occurring with others too?

When using Safari, the only time you are required to enter your Admin password regarding stored passwords for various sites, is when you need to view them and or edit the list.

Those passwords are stored in your Keychain, by the way.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This only happens on the Library site, as far as I have determined. The issue here might be the two logins for two different accounts. It's when I want to go from one to the other that the Admin password is requested. But I know I had done that many many times before, and did not need that password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.