Really frustrated at macOS' "smart" moving and scrolling initial speed and acceleration

M

mavifoda

I move the mouse a little, and unlike on Windows, the pointer barely moves... I move it a little faster, then a little faster to get it to move more, and suddenly it shoots way too far.

I move the scroll wheel one tick... literally the page moves by 1 pixel. I do 2, like 3 pixels. I scroll 3, and suddenly the page scrolls too far... I have to be REALLY CAREFUL... and that's REALLY FRUSTRATING.

I feel like a drunk clown trying to walk to his clown car.

Is there some way to make this more intuitive?! I have no use for 1-pixel movement or scroll... and when movement is fast it's way too fast.

It just feels like I have to extremely precise in my acceleration and be extremely vigilant in adjusting to its speed all the time. It's just incredibly difficult even after days to predict how things will be. I'm on my 3rd mouse, and this one's by far the best, and it works great on Windows. Using a mouse shouldn't require this much training and precision and carefulness. It used to be SO EASY. I shouldn't have to buy the perfect mouse and mousepad to get decent control. Now I feel like I'm having to be an acrobat on a rubber ball balancing dishes in a windstorm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Have you tried changing the settings for mouse movement in System Preferences? What version of macOS, what Mac, what Mouse?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In addition to the very useful info from Jake; I should point out that additional features regarding the Mouse can be found in System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 4.52.06 pm?.png

And under "Mouse Options" seen bottom right.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 4.54.24 pm?.png

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just to add to the previous good comments, and I did not notice what Mouse brand or model you are using, but I would seriously suggest you try using a different and good non-patterned mouse pad. But I do find the glossy patterned 3-M mousepads to be excellent and smooths and well worth their price.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.