Reading the forum and problems upgrading to Yosemite

Reaction score
I have been considering the free upgrade to Yosemite from Maverick but hesitate because if the problems others have been having. Does anyone have a feel for how pervasive problems are with Yosemite? My Mac was bought 4/2011, loaded OS Leopard 10.6.8. 1TB memory.

M

MacInWin

No Mac has 1TB memory. It may have a 1TB hard drive, but not 1TB memory. Yosemite needs about 4 GB of internal memory to run well, but 8Gb is better. So how much memory does your machine have? (click the Apple icon upper left, About this Mac to get the information)

Reaction score
I have upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion to Mavicks to Yosemite with only minor problems.
The main areas I found were:
* Java 6 not supported. But there is a free download of Java 6 from apple site to restore it. Recommended version is Java 8 (free from java.com: Java + You).
* VLC Player needed an updated version
* iPhoto failed to load. An update from App Store fixed that issue.
* Lync 2011 needs an update to 14.0.10 to get it working again.
* Boot Picker no longer works. Removed it and replaced it with rEFInd boot manager.

Reaction score
Honestly you should check your memory requirements the iMacs and mac pro's require the 4 gig's of ram in order to run the o.s where the macbook air only uses 2 gb of ram for yosemite because it doesn't install additional files that are not in use for the macbook air as for the macbook pro it very's depending on year and model of macbook pro some run at 2.00 gig like the macbook air some require 8 gig or better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
I have been considering the free upgrade to Yosemite from Maverick but hesitate because if the problems others have been having. Does anyone have a feel for how pervasive problems are with Yosemite? My Mac was bought 4/2011, loaded OS Leopard 10.6.8. 1TB memory.

.....but generally you only read about the problems in forums like this and they only represent a minute fraction of the happy upgraders.

Go for it and reap the benefits!

M

MacInWin

When you said you bought in 2011, I jumped to the conclusion that it was new. But one I'm not so sure. open the Apple icon, About this Mac, and report back so we can know if your Mac supports Yosemite.

OP
R
Reaction score
Macinwin. Thanks. You're right. I have 4GB memory, maybe not enough? Thanks to others, too, for your feedback and experiences. OS is Maverick version 10.9.5. It was bought new in April, 20011 from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
All the problems I had were either

a: self inflicted
b: performed without adequate back-up
c: done as an upgrade, not a clean install.
d. trying to fix things myself without coming here first. (these guys really know their stuff)

After some pretty disastrous results, once everything was done as recommended, my computer has NEVER run better. As a matter of fact, it's running so well, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I haven't even bothered updating to 10.10.1 because I'm having no problems with any of the issues it addresses.

Also, I have 4 gig of ram and it runs fine, FAR better than it ever did running Mavericks.

ken

M

MacInWin

4Gb memory should be plenty. Given you are at Mavericks, it will run Yosemite. BTW, next time somebody asks what Mac (particularly here) the answer is to be found by clicking on the Apple icon upper left, About this Mac and then just below the name of the machine is something like "Early 2011." I've attached a screen shot of what I'm talking about from my MBP. That way we know exactly what your machine is capable of handling.

BTW, if you decide to go with it, I'd recommend a full backup, then a clean install, reformatting the HD, then restoring from the backup. IF you have "registered" software like MS Office and Adobe Creative suite stuff (PS, etc), you may need to de-register them before letting them be erased by the installation so that you can reinstall and re-register them when done.

2014-11-22 02.00.45 pm.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, folks, for the information and encouragement. I have a bunch to learn before I try to upgrade. I'm sure what I need to learn exists on the musings of this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Been beating the making of a bootable USB thumb drive and a clean install drum since Mountain lion OS X.8. Personally think upgrade after upgrade after updgrade does cause system problems. This applies particularly to models using the 2.5" drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.