Reading Glasses Denial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
into my second MacBook week.

i'm also still in denial as to really needing reading glasses.

not had much to complain about with this mac so far and it seems to be getting me to read text smaller then i would on the PC.

but apple seem to like small text...... particularly with some emails sent to me; some documents and web pages etc.

i've been shown how to use the zoom function in: apple> system preferences> universal access> Zoom on to enlarge the screen.

however i find moving round the screen to see text not as good as just having larger text in emails and web pages.

is there a way i can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
I know what you mean, Ebay emails seem to be the worst, very tiny fonts.

I've not found any option yet. I would move to Thunderbird if you can't bear it. Leopard may fix this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If there is a way to change all system font sizes, I haven't found it yet, maybe someone else will know better than I.

But, with most all browsers (I use Opera) there is an option to change the text size of the page. In Opera, on the menubar go to View - Zoom and make your selection. It will zoom and reorder the page so you are not having to still scroll back and forth to read.
Firefox, is not quite as friendly, you would go to View - Text Size - Increase; you can do this several times untill you get the size you want.
Similar for Safari - View - Make text bigger; multiple times and you will also have to hit the green dot in the corner to resize the window also. Neither one of these anywhere near as friendly as Opera.

To change your desktop font size - click on an empty area of the desktop or open Finder - in the Finder menu go to View and open "Show View Options".

For Mail - in the Mail menu; click on Mail, then Preferences, then Fonts & Colors. Here you will have several options for font sizes.

Went through same as you several years ago now, eventually, you'll have to resign yourself to that fact that the eyes aren't what they use to be. Just wait until you find while shopping, you can't read any of the fine print and have to ask someone if they will read it for you. It almost seems humiliating and before long you'll have a pair for each room of the house, 2 extras stored in the car and at least one extra in the office desk because you can't seem to remember to put them in your pocket. And yes, you will still find yourself somewhere without them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
In your web browser open any page and press "command" + "+" and the font will increase in size. To make it smaller again, press "command" + "-"

Not sure about emails... if you use a web-based email provider then the same applies, but if not then it may work, it may not. I'm sure there is a way though.

Alternatively, you could change your screen resolution to a smaller size in System Preferences > Displays. That would make everything on your screen bigger, but not to the same quality standard.

Reaction score
In your web browser open any page and press "command" + "+" and the font will increase in size. To make it smaller again, press "command" + "-"
Control-scroll-wheel up, and Control-scroll-wheel down does it, too, and not just in browsers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
i'm also still in denial as to really needing reading glasses.
I moved to a MacBook from an IBM ThinkPad. With the Pad I'd already needed reading glasses, so going to the MacBook was not a problem.

Go for the reading glasses. You won't regret it! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You could also add the text size button to your address bar. That's what I use. With safari open choose: View>customize address bar, I find this to work the best for me!

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You could also add the text size button to your address bar. That's what I use. With safari open choose: View>customize address bar, I find this to work the best for me!

Good one Dadsgravy. I was just going to take a screenshot of the same screen! Works for me.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
hippeeee!!!! (i can see.)

Control-scroll-wheel up, and Control-scroll-wheel down does it, too, and not just in browsers.

i have no idea what you mean but this works great....

thanks Leukeh etal

by the way.....

dtravis7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy
Good one Dadsgravy. I was just going to take a screenshot of the same screen! Works for me.

how do you take a screenshot ..... or what used to be 'ctrl + print screen' on the PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
apple+shift+3 - will take an entire screen shot
apple+shift+4 - will take a shot of the current window

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina

Not sure about emails... if you use a web-based email provider then the same applies, but if not then it may work, it may not. I'm sure there is a way though.

Alternatively, you could change your screen resolution to a smaller size in System Preferences > Displays. That would make everything on your screen bigger, but not to the same quality standard.

it also worked for mail.... but i have 'apple> system preferences> universal access> Zoom on to enlarge the screen.' ..... ON. (does that make a difference?)

great fan of Opera.... but sticking with Safari for now to test out the integration (but also seems faster then opera) .... never been so easy to mail pics i've found on the web or forum threads for that matter.

on a high.

js

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
apple+shift+3 - will take an entire screen shot
apple+shift+4 - will take a shot of the current window

but how do i paste to docs and mail or forums or save to a file?

:mail:

Reaction score
i have no idea what you mean. . . .
When I hold down the Control key down while moving the mouse's scroll wheel up, the screen image enlarges. When holding the Control key down and moving the scroll wheel down, the image shrinks back to normal.

M

MacHeadCase

but how do i paste to docs and mail or forums or save to a file?

:mail:

In forums, you'll need to use the Manage Attachments button (see screenshot Forum.png below) below the reply box. This will open a pop-up window where you have to chose your file by navigating to it, click on the Upload button (see screenshot Forum2.png below) and, once the upload is done (you can close the pop-up window at this point), click on the Submit Reply button below the reply box.

In emails, in Mail.app you need to use the Attach button (see screenshot Mail_attach.png below).

Forum.png

Forum2.png

Mail_attach.png

M

MacHeadCase

Oh and I forgot about the Finder settings to make text bigger...

Click on the desktop to get to Finder and in the menubar, click on View -> Show View Options, you can set the text size under the folders.

If you open a folder, the Show View Options window changes and you can set the text size in all the folders on your Mac.

Finder_desktop.png

Finder_folder.png

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
time out please. and thanks.

this though i like best at the mo....

because the pain stays the same and not move around with the curser.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
Oh and I forgot about the Finder settings to make text bigger...

Click on the desktop to get to Finder and in the menubar, click on View -> Show View Options, you can set the text size under the folders.

If you open a folder, the Show View Options window changes and you can set the text size in all the folders on your Mac.

i'm getting there. many thanks head case. looking forward to my iMovie workshop tomorrow..... this is what i knocked up first time yesterday.

what is interesting is how you guys drew those red hoops to highlight so quickly..... pretty please.... let me know.

Picture 3.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.