Re-Installing OS Catalina ???

Reaction score
Hi

Am i right in saying using Apples standard installation package to upgrade or "reinstall" OS Catalina 10.15 will retain all user data and any user - installed apps? As opposed to a bootable USB drive method wiping the drive completely clean.

I simply want to perform a fresh reinstallation of Catalina 10.15 without loosing any purchased apps, is this possible using the above method?

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If your current OS is macOS Catalina and all you want to do is reinstall the same OS, then that is probably best done via Recovery Mode (Hold down Command plus R as you reboot the Mac. If it's an iMac, you are strongly advised to plug in the Keyboard as you would to charge it or use a wired KB).

You can reinstall the current OS from Recovery. It will not affect any data, apps or settings on your Mac. I have done this many times in the past.

But common sense says that a backup such as Time Machine or a Clone would be a sensible precaution.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Ian

I was considering carrying out the process you have outlined but the bit about the keyboard threw me completely:-

'If it's an iMac, you are strongly advised to plug in the Keyboard as you would to charge it or use a wired KB).'

I have an iMac running Catalina. It's about 7 years old and the keyboard that came with it contains batteries and has no means of being charged or connecting it to anything!

I have Time Machine and CCC backups available but does this mean that I ought to have an alternative keyboard available as well before pushing any buttons?

Peter

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Peter

You make a good point and ask a very relevant question.

In the rebooting process, Bluetooth is only activated/acknowledged late in the process, consequently holding down Cmd and R is not recognised in time to initiate Recovery Mode - unless you are very lucky.

In my experience, such as it is, I could never enter Recovery or Safe Mode. Hence the need for a wired KB, which is recognised almost from the start of rebooting.

Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) backups are not affected.

Any KB, even a Windows one will do and if you look around, you can get wired KBs inexpensively.

The more recent KBs from Apple have rechargeable batteries and they are charged by connecting the KB via USB cable directly to the iMac. This also makes it wired.

HTH

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Thanks Ian, that makes a lot of sense.

When I get round to doing it I'll pinch the keyboard off my wife's PC.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
If your current OS is macOS Catalina and all you want to do is reinstall the same OS, then that is probably best done via Recovery Mode (Hold down Command plus R as you reboot the Mac.

I would be looking not to reinstall the same version of Catalina that is currently on the Mac, but rather a new copy of OS Catalina, is that what Recovery Mode will do?

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.