• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RC vehicles

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is anybody into RC vehicles (specifically cars) around here? I had a bunch of RC cars when I was younger, the cheap use-and-throw variety and enjoyed them. Recently, I've been looking into the more expensive ones that look like a lot of fun.

After a lot of research, I'm thinking about getting the AARMA Vorteks truck.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When I was a kid, one of my friends had a few RC planes. I'd love to try that, but most of them were expensive the last time I looked. I'm afraid my horrible coordination would result in numerous costly crashes. LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My son is into them. I sent him the link and he says that is the brand he likes. He says the gears are plastic and if you really get into it they can strip - or melt. You just consider them a wear item and they are not that expensive to replace.

He also recommended this model as being a bit sturdier:

My husband and son got into radio controlled cars when my son was younger. Here recently my son had gotten back into them along with flying drones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is one of those things I'd always wanted to get into but never knew anyone else who was. RC helicopters really interest me a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If my son is not running one of his RC cars through the fields he is flying his drones over them.

This video was shot over our farm.

Lisa

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My son is into them. I sent him the link and he says that is the brand he likes. He says the gears are plastic and if you really get into it they can strip - or melt. You just consider them a wear item and they are not that expensive to replace.

He also recommended this model as being a bit sturdier:

My husband and son got into radio controlled cars when my son was younger. Here recently my son had gotten back into them along with flying drones.
Thanks for that Lisa and yeah I've got both the Senton and Vorteks on my list. I like the Vorteks design a bit more. I did find a video showing how to replace some of the plastic gears with metal ones, especially the spur gear which is the one connected to the motor.

These vehicles are designed to be bashed around and will break things being largely made out of plastic, so replacing/upgrading is part of the ownership costs.

This is one of those things I'd always wanted to get into but never knew anyone else who was. RC helicopters really interest me a lot.
I was looking at the RC copters and planes for a little bit, my neighbor has both and that takes significant skill to handle and get right. The drones take away a lot of the complexity and possibly fun for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RC vehicles anyone can learn to play with and have fun. I can even run one! But the drones are a whole different level of skill. My son has flown them for several years now and it takes skill.

As for repairing RC trucks - he has a whole table full of parts to repair what he has smashed up! He has found it more difficult to get parts since Covid.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.