• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Rantings of a depressed unemployed person

K

Kiwi

Well heres the deal. I spend 8 years of my life getting a PhD in science and at the end of it I havent been able to get a job. Well thats not entirely true, I was able to get a job for a year with a government science institution but at the end they lost 50% of their funding so they couldnt keep me on. That was in September last year. Since then I have been trying to get a job somewhere in NZ but no luck. The job I had the most chance of getting and I was the most qualified person in NZ to do this job (they told me this after the interview) was given to an overseas person even tho employment laws state that they probably should have given it to me. What really got me grumpy was they asked me to wait a month so they could bring in this overseas person over for an interview, who they then gave them the job and didnt tell me for 2 months (no reply to my emails) until the immigration papers came through. Since then I have applied for 4 jobs and had no luck with them.

So apparently I know to much about nothing, and even worse its the wrong sort of nothing :angry:

Sorry to rant so much but if I dont get it off my chest every now and then I go crazy. So im thinking of changing careers, im quite good with computers tho I have no formal training. My husband suggested I try and find some computer courses I might find interesting and go for it. Ive just learnt how make webpages using HTML using a free on-line course so hopefuly soon I'll have my first webpage on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Well, you can add me to the list of unemployed people. I am a Systems Administrator on the prowl for a new job. This is the first time I've ever been jobless and it is driving me crazy. All this happened in the middle of us being in the process of buying a home. So it is mighty ****ed up around here. Luckily I can collect "more" than I was making at the time of my layoff. Yes, I said MORE, what's up with that? I don't mind or anything, but I basically get a year off with FULL pay ( gotta pay taxes on it later, but.... ). Hopefully I will find a new job in the new area we are moving to.

I feel your pain, and you are probably seeing it worse than me, as you took so much time in your life to educate yourself. As far as changing careers into the IT field... I wouldn't. I am in the field and the layoffs / payrate is really sucky right now. If I had it all to do again ( wait, I do have it all to do again :) ) I would probably open my own business. I understand that the economy is "struggling", but everytime I go to the mall, I have to wait in line at the checkout, and I have to dodge people on the way to different stores, while buying something that is probably sold out. I don't know how the economy could be hurting with all these sales happening, but I think that would be the way I would/could go.

Good luck in your search!

OP
K

Kiwi

Well after getting all that off my chest I feel much better. I remembered that University is about to start for the year over here in New Zealand and they would be looking for people to help supervise undergraduate lab classes. I contacted the person in charge of hiring demonstrators and she said she would able to get me some work, maybe a day a week. That will at least get me out of the house and give me some money.

Emrys I totally understand you going crazy, the worst time is during the day when all my friends and family are working and theres no one to talk to. My cats just ignore me until its feeding time.

Actually the New Zealand economy is booming at the moment and there are alot of IT job vacancies in the papers etc. A friend gave me a good idea for a business. He tried to find someone who could put his wedding video onto DVD but couldnt find anyone who could do it in the city where we live. He doesnt want to send it elsewhere in New Zealand. So all I need is a new mac with a superdrive and a analog-digital video converter, iMovie and iDVD. Something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I don't think you should go into the IT business - Its really had its 'boom' and there's not much room left for growth (well in NZ anyway). Starting your own business could be a good idea. Think of something new, or something rare, where you could apply your knowledge in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Well im still a student, and my intership with my company is only temporary until i graduate. (hopefully in less than 2 more years) im a Computer/Electrical Engineer major and everyone keeps discouraging me since the Technology field is hurting so much. I dont think its that bad off, the main fields hurting are the Freelance (like webdesign and graphics) and some of the IT market. although my company just hired 5 full time IT reps..................[/offTopic]

as far as your job search, i suggest doing what you enjoy doing, not trying to go where the money goes. it changes too much. With a PhD in anything, you should be able to work at any school for the time being and something in your field should open up soon. dont give up hope, im sure we will always have a need for scientists

OP
K

Kiwi

Originally posted by MacAddikt@Jan 27 2003, 09:04 AM
as far as your job search, i suggest doing what you enjoy doing, not trying to go where the money goes. it changes too much. With a PhD in anything, you should be able to work at any school for the time being and something in your field should open up soon. dont give up hope, im sure we will always have a need for scientists
Thanks everyone for the support so far. Its been really frustrating the last couple of weeks as I applied for 4 jobs before christmas. My field of work means that I should be able to fit into multiple areas. One job I just applied for I am completely qualified for and I know the people already in the research group. I found out once I applied that they had already unofficially asked someone to have the job so they are really just going through the motions so I have no chance there. Two other jobs I applied for I have all the skills but because my PhD was not exactly on the same thing as what they are doing, they dont think I am right for the job. The last job I had no chance in but I still had to try, got the letter back 2 days ago.

I love my field of research but there have always been very few opportunities, and when they are I am getting screwed over. Im not trying to go where the money goes but I think im trying to get more skills to make me more favorable for any employers. The field im in is very dependent on computers so any new skills I can acquire should be good.

Im looking forward to getting some money from demonstrating, tho it definitely wont be enough for a new mac :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Good luck to both of you; Kiwi and Emrys. You both will find something soon.

OP
K

Kiwi

YAY I got a job. It came out of knowwhere and they found me. Its only for six months but it stops me being bored. Im not to excited yet the paper work isnt done, I dont get excited until I get the first pay check :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulation!

:D :D :D

I have found, after you get a job, it is easier to get another job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
Good luck with your new job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by rman@Feb 10 2003, 02:40 AM
I have found, after you get a job, it is easier to get another job.

Same thing with girl friends.... After I found my fiance, there seemed to be so many more interested females. I think it is the whole human value of "I want what I can't have".

What kind of job is it Kiwi? Is it web design?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
K

Kiwi

Its a post-doc biochemistry job for 6 months, apart from that I cant say much its all commercial work, hush hush. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh, forgot, your a Doctor... Might have to kill me type of information? :)

OP
K

Kiwi

I wouldnt have to kill you just silence you :) Just kidding, its just the usual patents etc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought you were talking about a security clearence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.