ransomware - anybody caught out- what news?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
G'day harryb - bit cryptic that!!! Do you mean that the nearest Burns Club is in Canberra which is 174.84miles single journey away - return works out at 350miles ?- we were there three times over Christmas New Year ( got a years membership) - good place to eat all you like for one price - Star Buffet - my daughter lives Canberra, and has done for 15 years now. Anyway I digress - keep in touch with me if you want - Sydney was a vibrant place New Year's Eve 2013 -stayed in Uni halls two nights.
what do you mean by half a dozen Down Under??
Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Sorry John( that your name?) Can't help with your question . I made a system reinstall flash drive at same time ( and tested it out ) as setting up a 256Gb SSD few weeks ago - cos my start up disk was filling up on a daily basis with the help of Jpegs and camcorder footage, ( followed the advice given in the March MacFormat - good mag

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nobody has answered my question as to if doing a reformat and CCC reload would clear it? After all the system doesn't get a look in when you do a boot and select the boot device from power on does it.

As long as the CCC backup contained no malware associated with this problem…then sure…an infected computer would be returned to a "healthy state".:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta Nick, then that would make it worth doing 2 CCC backups and rotate them on a weekly basis. That would definitely work for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ta Nick, then that would make it worth doing 2 CCC backups and rotate them on a weekly basis. That would definitely work for me.

Remember:

- This is a very rare sort of thing happening on a Mac.
- If someone didn't "play" around with bit-torrent apps like this…there would be no infection.
- Apple acted very very quickly to sort things out.

What I'm saying is…always great to be prepared. But at the same time…the average user I don't think has a lot to fear.

Regarding your question. It all depends on:

- How quickly a problem is found & verified as a problem.
- How quickly we are officially informed there is problem.
- How well informed a user stays on top of the latest news.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Last week, using my Mac, I did a Google search on how to remove Dell crapware (bloatware) on my Mother's Windows PC since a clean install would be performed in order fix her computer running Windows 7 after her hdd died and a new one installed. My intentions were to reload everything using her Dell OS/Applications/Drivers disks on her new hdd. I clicked on a legitimate looking link for an app that would remove Dell bloatware after the reinstall since I was using the Dell disks that came with her computer. Suddenly, my screen changed and a voice spoke up and said my computer was corrupt and for X amount of $$$, things could be restored to normal. Information I picked up from this forum gave me the know-how to stop and remove the threat to free my computer and get MY computer "fixed". Although I was able to stop the attack there, I must say I was NOT on any questionable site nor have I ever used/downloaded a bit torrent. Since I am still using OS 10.6.8, there is no Malwarebytes available for my OS. After disconnecting my ethernet cable, I rebooted and cloned OS 10.6.8 back from my CCC back up to my Mac hdd. It worked perfectly and system was restored to a time when everything was running fine and the ransomware was gone. A simple fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No Jack. Being halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, that is each way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
:Oops:That's got to be fairly close to my sister in Lawrence :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes jonjob. Lawrence is just up the highway past Grafton - about 90 miles. When I was married fifty odd years ago the punt used to be at Lawrence.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.