Randomly Deleted File

Reaction score
I'm running Yosemite and recently discovered one of the files on my computer was randomly removed. Is there a way I can attempt to recover it?

M

MacInWin

1. Files don't "randomly delete." Something took place, either you did something, or that file was trashed by an application. What kind of file is it?
2. Is it in the trashcan? If so, just right click and put it back where it came from.
3. Barring all that, there are (expensive) products that can recover a deleted file. DataRescue3 (I think it's now DR4) is one that I have used and works well.

AH, and welcome to the Forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What do you mean with " randomly removed ". Do you mean that a " random " file was removed.
What file was that ?
First option is to go an look in the trash and recover it from there
Second option is to recover the file from one of your backups.
Otherwise consider the file is lost
Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

What type of file was deleted? Have you looked in the trash bin? Do you have a Time Machine backup?

If the file is not on your computer in another location, such as the trash bin or you have not made a backup, then your only other option is to try 'data recovery software' (just google the term) - this usually will not be free although a 'trial' version may be available which might show the file but not allow recovery until purchased.

Also, keep in mind that when files are deleted and even when the trash bin has been emptied, the file may still be intact on your disk - the important caution is to NOT use the computer which might overwrite the file - good luck and let us know your results or post back w/ other questions. Dave

ADDENDUM: BOY - I'm too slow! ;)

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
It was a Folder in Finder. I did not delete it and just noticed it was missing last night. It's not in the Trash and a search of the computer yielded nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What folder was that ?
Are you sure that the folder is not " hidden " ?

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where and what was the folder for? Was it part of an application or was it just one that you had for storing content?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The easy answer here is to simply use Time Machine to restore the folder if you've got it set up (and if you don't, I'd highly encourage you to consider setting it up). Do you have any sort of backup (as was noted earlier)?

OP
R
Reaction score
The easy answer here is to simply use Time Machine to restore the folder if you've got it set up (and if you don't, I'd highly encourage you to consider setting it up). Do you have any sort of backup (as was noted earlier)?

I had Time Machine running before but the external drive it was backing up to failed recently and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. So unfortunately, no backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I had Time Machine running before but the external drive it was backing up to failed recently and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. So unfortunately, no backup.

Let me sent you a present you can print, cutout and keep handy: ;)

roundtuitback.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.