Ram Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Hello,

I'm going to ask a stupid question. I'm thinking of upping the ram in my Dual 2 gig G5. I'd like to get an extra 2 gig of ram in it (I'm an animation student working with tonnes of high quality images and sound). The thing is 4 512 mb dimms are half the price of 2 1 gig dimm's. I'm not going to be filling up my spare ram slots any time soon, so should I go for the 4 512 mb dimms or would it be better for me to get the 2 1 gig dimms? Is there any significant difference in performance between the two or are the 2 1 gig dimms just space saving? Being of the creative type I'm not to hot on the technical side of things!

Thanks for any advice anyone offers

Laters, Johnny Luu ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can do 4 512mb sticks but in the long run if you plan to upgrade again it will much more costly

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
You can do 4 512mb sticks but in the long run if you plan to upgrade again it will much more costly

Yeah, I thought as much, the thing I'd really like to know is if there's any real difference in performance. I'm not likely to upgrade for a good few years, by which time a new mac will be available and the ram prices would have dropped. So if there's no real difference in performance I'll probably go for the 4 512's. That'll set my machine at 3 gig which is ample.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Ram prices are at the lowest that they will probably be

its also much cheaper to get the ram from a 3rd party...anything but apple

www.memoryx.net is a good place

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Ram prices are at the lowest that they will probably be

its also much cheaper to get the ram from a 3rd party...anything but apple

www.memoryx.net is a good place

Thanks for that, I'm from the UK and that company ships internationally so I can get 2 1 gig dimms for just a little over the price I was going to pay for 4 512's over here. ^_^

Can anyone point me int he direction of feedback for RAM bought from this company?

Thanks.

W

werby

Hi Johnny

Before you upgrade, you should be aware that currently no individual application running under OSX can access more than 2 GB of ram. If you are going to be running multiple ram intensive applications simultaneously, than 3 GB will definitely help, but if you only use one application, 2.5 GB is plenty.

R

RobDreugan

werby said:
Hi Johnny

Before you upgrade, you should be aware that currently no individual application running under OSX can access more than 2 GB of ram. If you are going to be running multiple ram intensive applications simultaneously, than 3 GB will definitely help, but if you only use one application, 2.5 GB is plenty.

I'd love to know where you found that information out. I never knew that.

I do question the person above who said, that in the long run it's going to become more costly. I would say that's pretty much wrong. You can always ebay your ram later, but more importantly, those gig chips are going to come down in price over time. Especially since faster types of ram are becoming available.

I'd advise saving some money and going with the 512 ram. If you see yourself upgrading your ram alot, then by all means save space with your 2 free slots.

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
werby said:
Hi Johnny

Yes, I'm a bit of a multitasker. My animation work means I'm editing images in Photoshop, messing around with them in After Effects and editing them in Premiere! I've usually got two things rendering in the background whilst doing other things so that's why i'm upping my ram to 3 gig.

R

RobDreugan

I wasn't really commenting about why you're upgrading it, or what the use of it is, I guess all I'm saying is that you don't need to spend the rediculous amount of money it is, to buy 2 1 gig chips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.