RAM upgrade 8gb or 16gb

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the site, new to mac's, iv'e recently moved from the dark side and purchased a mid 2012 13" macbook pro (non ratina) i5, i want to start by upgrading the ram, now i've looked on apple's website and it says it only supports 8gb of ram, (4x2), but i have watched YT videos of people installing 16gb (8x2), when i run the crucial memory program it says 8gb but if i check manually on crucial it also offers me 16gb.....i'm confused, is there any guru's here that can clear this conundrum up for me....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Apple's info is not correct!! And welcome to mac-forums.

Check here for your exact model:
Apple MacBook Pro Specs (All MacBook Pro Tech Specs) @ EveryMac.com

And no doubt it will say something like:

"Standard RAM: 4 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB*
Details: 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but third-parties have determined that this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I would say if you want the most from your system for the next 5 years, upgrade to 16gb. But if your a office user, web surfer or just listen to music. Then 8GB is the best price/performance ratio on the market.

4GB is barely enough IMHO. Going up to 8GB essentially doubles your over all system speed. However going to 16GB is about 12% boost in system speed. But if you run heavy video like 4k or graphics editing, you will notice a much larger boost in speed going to 16GB..

If I bought a new one tomorrow, it would have 16GB.

Cheers,
Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.