Quickly Flashing Pop-ups on Screen

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been having a weird issue with my 2008 MBP ever since a hotel stay in NYC. Every few minutes, while using the internet, I get a small window that quickly pops up on the left hand side of the screen and disappears. It doesn't stay up long enough for me to see if it says anything, so I can't figure it out. I thought it might have something to do with a weird cookie or something.

I also notice that in the shared portion of my finder window there are 3 "neighborhood" files that I can't delete. One is a business week file, one is ebay and the other is echl...it always seems to be the same ones. They are not there when I turn my computer on, but are after a few mins of browsing. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they are.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Try resetting your browser, including clearing cookies and emptying the cache. If you used your MBP at the NY hotel, it's likely that cookies were installed that show those irritating pop-ups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.