Questions about Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hi!

Well, my first question is about the search function here. No matter what I entered about the subject I came here for, nothing popped up. Is there something I need to know before doing a search on this forum? I've never found anything searching and always have to post new threads. Thanks.

Now for my question(s). :)

1) My mail program is most likely 'constipated' with at least a couple of thousand emails in the Inbox. Most likely I could probably just delete them all but am sure I'd trash something I shouldn't have. What I'd like to do is to move them to a thumb drive for safekeeping for the next year or so. I just usually don't have the time to clean it up as I go since my computer time is so limited. I know, I know, a little laziness may be in the mix too. ;-)

I DO keep the trash emptied though....

2) When I try now to send an e-mail, it goes into the Outbox and can sit there for a LONG time (30-90 minutes) before Mail sends it. It never did that before but has been doing that all week. (I have set the e-mail proggie to check for e-mail every 5-10 minutes)

3) Last one! I use two primary e-mail addresses, a common one and a much more private one that only about a dozen people know about. Lately, on the common address a box opens and says I have to re-enter my password because the server is not available or some such stuff. ..I re-enter the password and the mail usually is sent. What's up with that? It just started doing that maybe a week ago. (And no other changes have been made on this system in the past couple of weeks....just a general clean-up using Onxy).

Mail version: 7.3

Computer- 3 year old MacBook Air 11", running Mavericks 10.9.5

Free HD space- 80GB free out of 120GB's

As always, TIA!!!

Cheers!

Pat

M

MacInWin

Sounds like your mail provider is having problems. All of the symptoms can be explained by the provider not being there when you need them. How do you connect to the mail server? WiFi? Ethernet? How old is your router? Any recent changes from your ISP?

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like your mail provider is having problems. All of the symptoms can be explained by the provider not being there when you need them. How do you connect to the mail server? WiFi? Ethernet? How old is your router? Any recent changes from your ISP?

Hey MacInWin!

No, no major changes with ISP. I do connect my MBA via WI-FI but have had the same unusual pop up boxes occur on my iMac upstairs in the office, and that's connected via Ethernet cable to the router (which is about one year old).

You may be correct....the ISP may be having some difficulties..I just automatically figured the prob was on my end. ;-)

Today both machines have been working well...was just afraid to say that earlier because I was afraid of jinxing myself.

Thank you!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
The way I check this is to use the browser based webmail for the ISP provided mail. In my case, ATT/yahoo. I usually find that the host mail server is busy/overloaded during some periods. I suspect that when you are in Apple Mail, the SMTP request for a server port times out, and you get the password popup message.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Sullij. I, too, use AT&T/Yahoo and will try that the next time this occurs. I just always figured the problem was on my end.

Thanks!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.