Questions about Mac Pro Late 2013 Trash Can.

SergeyB

Reaction score
I plan to purchase Mac Pro Late 2013 Trash Can and upgrade it by myself.
  • I’ll install 2 Tb SSD. What is the name of SSD adapter, from proprietary to the NVME M.2? Is it for sale on eBay or AliExpress?
  • Do I need an Apple keyboard to reinstall macOS to press Command-R? Is there some lifehack to do it without an Apple keyboard?
  • I have read about plastic spring in Mac Pro, which can be damaged during CPU upgrade. Could you tell, where is this plastic spring? So, I will be careful with it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While upgradable, that machine is totally outdated by today's Mac standards. It also cannot run any recent version of macOS and it'll be harder and harder to find apps that run on that machine.

It's one thing to get an already upgraded machine of your liking for really cheap to use, but buying it and spending more money to upgrade isn't a wise investment.

Take a look at the newer Macs and stick with that.

OP
S

SergeyB

Reaction score
I plan to use Mac Pro for running: Nginx, Python, Django, PostgreSQL, Celery and Postfix, so macOS 12 Monterey suits me.
Upgrade parts for this Mac don’t cost much.

I have started this topic, because I hope, someone will answer my questions about SSD adapters, Apple keyboard and plastic spring.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's a detailed post I made a few months ago regarding a 2013 Mac Pro I purchased.

I did mention the spring-loaded plastic retainers for the CPU...and mentioned how it would probably be a good idea to purchase some of these ahead of time if you wanted to upgrade the CPU...and/or replace the CPU thermal paste.

I agree with Raz0rEdge...try not to spend too much purchasing a used 2013 Mac Pro...and upgrades.

If you spend too much...you might as well purchase a used M1 Mac Mini...which would be WAYYYY more powerful...able to run much newer versions of the macOS...and cost in the $350-$400 range (in the United States).

Good luck,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.