Question mark has appeared in finder?

M

MacHeadCase

Hi steve1401.

When did this first happen? Had you installed a haxie or any other software just before? Did you try any troubleshooting on your own or did you report here right after this happened?

For instance, did you run MainMenu's Cleaning tasks? I would clean out User Cache and System Cache - Deep Clean. You will need to restart after you are through though.

Don't worry if you find the restart takes longer than usual, the system will be rebuilding its cache from scratch and it takes a bit longer.

Report back to let us know how this goes. If it isn't fixed, it might be a pref file somewhere...

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses...

Yes, the forward/backward buttons work fine, in fact there is nothing faulty as far as I can see other than the odd "?"

I've only just noticed this, but that isn't to say I've just not noticed it till now and it's been like that for a while?? The only recent software I have installed is OmniGraffle and OmniPlan. I have tried removing the MS Office trial.

I will try the clean cache suggestion, but this will not be for an hour or so as it's my work machine I'm having the issue...

Cheers

M

MacHeadCase

Just 'cause I'm curious... Could the question mark be in the place of something that was part of Micro$oft Office? Like did M$ have a button that went in that exact same spot?

And good luck with this. Let us know how it went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
as macheadcase said

i reckon its a button that an application has placed there and has since be moved or unistalled which may cause an error like the one you are having.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
You can't right-click (or Control click) it and select "Remove Item"??

Or perhaps "Customize Toolbar" then drag the question mark off the toolbar?

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses...

Yes, the forward/backward buttons work fine, in fact there is nothing faulty as far as I can see other than the odd "?"

I've only just noticed this, but that isn't to say I've just not noticed it till now and it's been like that for a while?? The only recent software I have installed is OmniGraffle and OmniPlan. I have tried removing the MS Office trial.

I will try the clean cache suggestion, but this will not be for an hour or so as it's my work machine I'm having the issue...

Cheers

steve1401,

Did you install Butler.app? If you did and it's still running, quit it and get back to me if that Q mark has gone. Otherwise, try Command + Drag the question mark from the menubar then let it go ...

Picture 2.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Or perhaps "Customize Toolbar" then drag the question mark off the toolbar?

This did the job ;)

I think the suggestion of another application installing an icon, and then removing the app was the heart of the problem. I can remember removing a trial version of a program which had long expired, so I bet that was it!

Cheers all

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.