Question about text attachments that are scams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I got an obvious scam text today. The person sent a photo via text to my iPhone. I did not download the attached photo. I blocked the photo, and deleted the text that had the attached photo. Just so you know, I still saw the attached photo, but I did not download it to my iPhone.

Then I went to my MacBook Pro and deleted the text there as well!

I should be safe from any malware that that photo most likely had as long as I didn't download it to my iPhone or Mac, is this correct?

And is there any other place within iCloud that I should delete this information?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1. There is no malware for the Mac that is so severe that it cannot be handled easily, so relax.
2. You have done all you need to do, relax.

Breathe, relax, you have a Mac and an iPhone.

Reaction score
I should be safe from any malware that that photo most likely had as long as I didn't download it to my iPhone or Mac, is this correct?

All malware for the Macintosh and the iPhone that exists is known, and they are all cataloged on a particular Web site, along with an explanation of how each example does its dirty work. There is no malware for the Macintosh or the iPhone that comes embedded in a graphic.

At the very worst, the graphic might have had a tracking pixel in it to determine if you opened the graphic, thus confirming that yours is an active cell phone. This isn't harmful, just not ideal.

So all that you need to do with such a message and attachment (assuming that it really is malware, possibly Windows malware) is not forward it to anyone else. Or you can simply delete it and forget about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.