Question about sound quality

Reaction score
Running 10.4.9 and notice when using iChat, iTunes or any other Apple app the sound is barely discernible. When using any other non-Apple app the sound is much better. Cannot figure out why there would be sound if it is not high enough to be heard in the first place?? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
What are you saying...
There is no sound, or that the quality is poor? And only at low volumes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
check the sound preferences in the system preferences menu. Try using a cd and seeing if sound is present and at what quality, then you can relate that to the sound from itunes. It may be the speakers, but can't know for sure yet.

-

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
What are you saying...
There is no sound, or that the quality is poor? And only at low volumes?

No I have great sound - but not if I use an Apple application such as iTunes, iChat, etc. When I use those the sound is so low as to be barely discernable. For example: if I use Adium the sound is great - if I switch to iChat the sound is barely able to be heard. Why the extremes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
It's a long shot but, if Sound Check is checked under iTunes > Preferences > Playback, I'd uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hm, very odd behavior.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had the same thing - ex. CD volume: very reasonable; iTunes volume: very quiet; both with the volume set at maximum

My issue was resolved by finally discovering iTunes has it's own separate volume control; right at the top; of the screen :[ , was disillusioned for a couple of months, just assumed it was no different than the master volume similar to programs in windows - pushed it up to max and voila, volume now equal for both. You can move this around with no effect on the master volume.

M

MacHeadCase

Papa, yesterday I looked to see if there wouldn't be a pref file that takes care of the audio for all Apple apps and couldn't find anything in my pref folder. So this one has me stumped! :\

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Papa, yesterday I looked to see if there wouldn't be a pref file that takes care of the audio for all Apple apps and couldn't find anything in my pref folder. So this one has me stumped! :\

odd part is - it is not just iTunes (I had previously discovered the separate sound control in iTunes) but also affects iChat, etc. Seems to only affect apple apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.