Question about Photos and making an Album

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Simple question with a simple answer< I hope. Computer is a late 2014 Mini running the latest version of Yosemite. The last update of Yosemite added Photos. Yuck. Simple question. When I load my SD card from my Canon DSLR the pictures go in to "Last Import."
How do I take all of the pictures in "Last Import" and make them an "Album?" I hope that's clear. I have figured out how to move them into a album one by one, but there should be a way to take all 150 pictures in Last Import and make them in to an Album all at once.

Thanks for the help. I read a lot, but post very little. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
When in Photos, and under the Albums>Last Import, you can select the Photos in the Import Album you want, by ⌘+Clicking the photos you want, or ⌘A to select all, or click and Drag to select the images.
Then look for the + sign in the Menubar on the right, click that and you will be presented with a dropdown with Add X Photos to : See Image

YfqrEro.png

Select Album, and in that window, name the Album to what you want. . . That should work for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you still got iPhoto in Yosemite or does it remove it in favour of Photos? Only wondering as I haven't "upgraded to Yosemite yet (not sure I want to) and I'm quite happy with iPhoto as a basic editor, I use Lightroom for the proper job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you still got iPhoto in Yosemite or does it remove it in favour of Photos? Only wondering as I haven't "upgraded to Yosemite yet (not sure I want to) and I'm quite happy with iPhoto as a basic editor, I use Lightroom for the proper job!

Yes, iPhoto is left on your System. You will find it in the Applications Folder, but if you had it in the Dock, it will be replaced by the new Photos. If you delete iPhoto from Applications then you will have difficulty getting it back.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Thanks everyone for the answers. They were very helpful. I got it done. I guess I will eventually get used to Photos, but I sure did like iPhoto. All of my Events in iPhoto transferred over without any problems, and now instead of Events I will just make albums. That seems like the easiest way to go. Thanks again everyone.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the answers. They were very helpful. I got it done. I guess I will eventually get used to Photos, but I sure did like iPhoto. All of my Events in iPhoto transferred over without any problems, and now instead of Events I will just make albums. That seems like the easiest way to go. Thanks again everyone.

Well, as has been said, iPhoto is still there in the Applications folder. Just open it and use it, leave Photos off! I also like iPhoto for basic editing so am not interested inPhotos or any other basic photo editing software.

C

chas_m

I have to point out that Photos' editing tools are in fact that strongest aspect of the program and are considerably better in every respect to iPhoto's editing tools. I continue to use iPhoto because I use "round-tripping" a lot and that feature isn't (yet?) in Photos, but when it comes to built-in editing tools Photos wins hands down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac quad i7 | Yosemite
I have to point out that Photos' editing tools are in fact that strongest aspect of the program and are considerably better in every respect to iPhoto's editing tools. I continue to use iPhoto because I use "round-tripping" a lot and that feature isn't (yet?) in Photos, but when it comes to built-in editing tools Photos wins hands down.

I agree. The database is also built to handle a larger library; where iPhoto was buckling under larger libraries, often with disastrous results, Photos is handling them really well so far.

Clients come in with irritation about Photos and leave excited to start using the editing tools. I'm sure the program has quite a bit more tweaking to go, but I think it's a much safer program for today's rapidly-growing libraries.

Having said that, if you're shooting with a DSLR and are pretty serious about your photography, you might want to look into Lightroom. I've moved several clients over to Lightroom; it has a learning curve, but in the end is much better suited to users who are doing more than casual smartphone and point-and-shoot camera photography.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.