Question about laptop charger

krs

Reaction score
I was actually waiting for your comments after receiving the OWC bulk charger.

What I'm wondering about is if one can tell from the picture (in an ebay auction let's say) if a charger is genuine Apple or not.

After buying a charger, I think the delay of the magsave light when plugging in and no delay before the light goes out when removing, will ensure that the charger is genuine. I doubt a 3rd party design would buld this type of operation into their charger.
But...would an embossed Apple logo "guarantee" a charger to be genuine Apple??? Doesn't take much for a 3rd party charger to do that.
So I wonder if anyone by chance has a charger with an embossed Apple logo that doesn't exhibit the magsafe LED characteristic described above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was actually waiting for your comments after receiving the OWC bulk charger.

What I'm wondering about is if one can tell from the picture (in an ebay auction let's say) if a charger is genuine Apple or not.

After buying a charger, I think the delay of the magsave light when plugging in and no delay before the light goes out when removing, will ensure that the charger is genuine. I doubt a 3rd party design would buld this type of operation into their charger.
But...would an embossed Apple logo "guarantee" a charger to be genuine Apple??? Doesn't take much for a 3rd party charger to do that.
So I wonder if anyone by chance has a charger with an embossed Apple logo that doesn't exhibit the magsafe LED characteristic described above.

Hi Krs - well, not sure unless someone else 'chimes in' to answer your question - I'll likely just buy from OWC if I need an additional charger, however, not sure what my next Apple laptop will be relative to the charging port, so might be a different decision although I suspect that OWC will be there for us. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
however, not sure what my next Apple laptop will be relative to the charging port,

Maybe Apple will still be trying to figure out how to create a wireless charger for those laptops as well but may not have an actual release date until maybe 2025 at earliest.

But you'll be correct, OWC will no doubt have a charger that will work, and at a reasonable price, I'm sure. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro9,2 Unibody Mojave 10.14.3 8g ram 500g hd
Well, no one responded to my previous post for whatever reason? ... Dave :)
Dave, thanks for the info. I've been swamped last few days with a lot of paperwork :(
I'm learning/enjoying my Mac and have the OWC url bookmarked.

Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, no one responded to my previous post for whatever reason?

Because there was no question in that post (hopefully I didn't miss one)...or nothing said was in error to disagree with. Just a really great informative post!:)

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I've purchased many a charger via ebay...they've all been used...and they've all worked great (knock on wood for possible future purchases).;)

I ONLY purchase from eBay auctions that say "OEM" or "Genuine Apple Charger"...and the #2 thing I look for is condition (no cracked insulation or fraying cables). When I receive the charger...I inspect it to be sure it is a genuine Apple charger (compare it to an original I have)...and good to go. If it were to turn out to be a knock-off or non-genuine Apple charger...I return it to the seller for a refund.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, thanks for the info. I've been swamped last few days with a lot of paperwork :(
I'm learning/enjoying my Mac and have the OWC url bookmarked.

Mike

Hopefully Mike, you can use your Mac to help alleviate some of that paperwork.

Just get the Mac to do most of the work, or at least help make it all a bit easier.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would be nice, but been looking up financial records, etc from files. No way the Mac can help right now :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Mike
Would be nice, but been looking up financial records, etc from files. No way the Mac can help right now :(

You just might be surprised Mike.

Why no post what your project involves in a new thread and some m-f members may have some suggestions for you.

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but no, these are some of my financial records that I have to find the paperwork :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but no, these are some of my financial records that I have to find the paperwork :)

Mabe A good sniffer dog would help??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mabe A good sniffer dog would help??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

lol, that'll work, then I could say "hey, the dog ate it"!

works for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi Alaska61, Another thought here, find some small bore "shrink wrap' in white, thread a couple of inches or so of shrink wrap over the small end of the charger cable up to the plug end and gently apply some heat until the shrink wrap does it's thing. Then repeat at the small end that connects to your lap top. Shrink wrap is more substantial than insulating tape and does not curl back or make a sticky mess; it should also last much longer than insulating tape; first check you are not obstructing the connector into plug on lap top.

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

PS. might be in the wrong slot! Sorry.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...Another thought here, find some small bore "shrink wrap' in white, thread a couple of inches or so of shrink wrap over the small end of the charger cable up to the plug end and gently apply some heat until the shrink wrap does it's thing. Then repeat at the small end that connects to your lap top. Shrink wrap is more substantial than insulating tape and does not curl back or make a sticky mess; it should also last much longer than insulating tape; first check you are not obstructing the connector into plug on lap top.

Hey Keith this is a great idea...but if someone is using the proper size "small bore shrink wrap" to get a tight fit...how does someone slip the shrink wrap tube over the charging connector?

I'm familiar with this sort of shrink wrap product (sometimes called shrink wrap tubing)...didn't know if this is what you were referring to:

Shrink Wrap Tubing.jpg

If this is not the product you were thinking of...please link us to what you were referring to.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself but have used the stuff in Ham Radio applications. very useful stuff but be careful with the heat! The stuff simply shrinks under influence of the heat hence the name shrink wrap. (By the way I am not trying to be facetious here.)

Regards Keith in Derby England.

krs

Reaction score
pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself............

You should try it and report back which specific shrink wrap tubing you are using.

I tried that with Mac power cables years ago - the shrink wrap tubing that would just barely fit over the magsafe connector didn't shrink enough to be of any use.
Maybe there is shrink wrap tubing today that shrinks more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3, simple really, just take charging lead to shrink wrap supplier and choose a piece that just passes over the smaller end of the lead; pull into required place and apply heat (but very gently) until it shrinks to size. Not done this particular job myself but have used the stuff in Ham Radio applications. very useful stuff but be careful with the heat! The stuff simply shrinks under influence of the heat hence the name shrink wrap. (By the way I am not trying to be facetious here.)

Thanks Keith. Yes I totally understand & am familiar with how shrink wrap tubing works (as I mentioned in my earlier post).:)

What member krs mentioned was exactly the point I was trying to make. If someone uses a piece of shrink wrap tubing that's large enough to slide over the magsafe connector...it may not shrink enough to make a snug fit with the charger cable. This is one of the main reasons many users that have a charging cable issue end up using electrical tape.

Magsafe connectors come in different shapes. But the main issue (for the Magsafe connector in the middle in the photo)...the shrink wrap tubing that's large enough to slide over the connector is probably too large in diameter to shrink tightly enough around the cable itself.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.30.14 AM.png

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
It's the middle connector in the diagram above that I tried without success.

But I would think that maybe there are different qualities of shrink wrap tubing and some has a larger "shrink ratio" so to speak.

Knute

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello everyone, sorry my little brainwave was a waste of time but it did seem like it might work. as the school teacher said "Keith should try harder."

Regards from Keith in Derby England

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Nick and KRS, I have used Shrink Tubing for most of my life as a electronic tech and anything that would fit over even that Middle Mag Safe would never shrink enough to be tight on the wire. Only way I know is break open the Power Supply itself and unsolder the cable and then slip the tubing down the lead. That power supply is a pain to get open so be warned! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.