Question about external hard drives

Reaction score
Hello,

I am switching to a Mac (iMac) from Windows...I have had ENOUGH of Windows 8 and can't take it anymore.

I plan on purchasing a Time Capsule after I get my iMac at some point but until then I wanted to know how my Maxtor One Touch 4 (1TB) will work with the iMac? Or will it even work with the iMac? Currently I use the drive for just backup reasons (I manually backup my files-I don't use software to do it) nor would I do it that way with the iMac either...manual only/drag/drop that kinda thing.

If the drive will work with the iMac, do I have to reformat it first before the OS recognizes it or can I just plug it in and go? If I have to reformat it, I'm going to be in trouble because I have no other drive to use to get the data back onto the drive and then get that data onto my iMac.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have two choices assuming you want to do manual backups: Leave the drive formatted as NTFS and purchase a driver which will allow the Mac to write to NTFS, or format the drive to the Mac standard file system - HFS+. Having said that, I highly recommend using the built in Time Machine backup application that ships with every Mac. External hard drives are inexpensive, treat yourself to a new one. ;D

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I have no problem reformatting the drive for Mac but how can I get my data from the drive onto the Mac first? Will it let me copy the contents to the Mac before I format it or can it not even read the drive if it's in NTFS? I will buy the Time Capsule, I just can't swing it at the moment since I'm buying a Mac right now!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can copy data from a NTFS formatted drive to a Mac but it may induce ownership and permissions problems. You just can't write to a NTFS formatted drive from a Mac without a special driver. Anyway, you're getting ahead of yourself. Why do you need an expensive Time Capsule? You can buy a 2 or 3 TB external hard drive for much less.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I wanted a Time Capsule because it was pretty, to go with my Mac:) Plus since I wanted to buy Apple's router I figured why not get 2 in 1?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well I wanted a Time Capsule because it was pretty, to go with my Mac:) Plus since I wanted to buy Apple's router I figured why not get 2 in 1?

Time Capsules are very nice & easy to use (I have one). But as "chscag" mentioned…they are VERY expensive! I purchased mine used (much cheaper $$$)…that's why I have one.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.