Question about .dmg files

Reaction score
I'm using a OSX 10.5.8 PPC powerbook. I know this older cpu uses .dmg files to install software, but do the newer Intel based Macs also use .dmg files or are they .exe like Windows? I'm asking because I've downloaded some .dmg files thinking they'll install OK and get a "not compatible with this architecture" error message.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The dmg file is still alive and well and is used for installing programs on an Intel Mac. The reason you received the notice that you did, was because you tried to install an Intel Mac only program on a PPC Mac. It's time to buy a new Mac. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes, DMG files are used on Intel Macs as well. The programs you are trying to install may be Intel only. Check for an older universal binary version which has both Intel and PowerPC code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A tad confusing isn't it? Older PowerPC Disk image (.dmg) applications will not open on anything running OS X.7, or later, and no intel apps will open on a PowePC Mac. No transfering or opening available alas.

Reaction score
actually there is a solution to this confusing issue.

search google for powerpc apps for leopard

OP
J
Reaction score
I've done that and got some useful sites but the overall selection seems limited. There must be thousands of .dmg apps for Intel Macs. I wonder what happened to all the ones for PPC Macs?

I've seen a program call DMGConverter. Would this take my favorite .exe Windows programs and enable me to install them on my PPC Powerbook?

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A Mac and OSX are not Windows. NO Windows software install on any Mac nor run. Only way is with an emulator or installing Windows Via Bootcamp which can ONLY be done on an Intel Mac. Power PC is not Intel Compatible and will not run EXE files.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've done that and got some useful sites but the overall selection seems limited. There must be thousands of .dmg apps for Intel Macs. I wonder what happened to all the ones for PPC Macs?

Your initial question was do older PPC apps use the .dmg format for software installs. And the answer is yes.

Finding older PPC apps is a different story.

- Firstly...not many installers for PPC apps are going to still be around due to age (we're talking 8 years since the last PPC based Mac).
- Second...you may be able to find some PPC apps on some older "PPC enthusiast" websites. But many of these apps will be free apps (not pay-for apps).
- Thirdly. Pay for PPC's are going to be harder to find...since companies aren't going to keep selling REALLY old software forever!;) Gotta check eBay.
- Forth...have you even done some decent internet searching for PPC's apps?? How about entering "PPC Mac Software" into a search engine. You will come up with lots of stuff...like this:;)

Pure Mac: Software for Macintosh

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give Apple Mac OS X Software & Apps - Discover & Download : MacUpdate a look. Once you create an account you can set several preferences for how search results are displayed (only free software, shareware, etc). I discovered a few minutes ago that one of the preference settings is for Platform. With that set the main main search listing shows Intel 64 bit, Intel 32 bit, and PPC.

They're still all mixed together in the listings but at least the relevant information is on the main page. You can see immediately whether the software will run on the PPC platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.