Question about clone/sync software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I've used CCC and SD! as I've needed, but I was just wondering are the clones secured? Do you worry about a clone coming into the wrong persons hands and them being able to boot from your drive? Do you password protect them?

I don't use my Mac mini internal drive as encrypted, but I do encrypt my Time Machine backup drive. So, I was just wondering if others did that as well with their cloned backups?

Thanks for any input.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Bob

The only feedback I can give you relates to a thread on our Forums where someone was asking about FileVault. This led to the fact that Time Machine and cloned Backups (BU) are not encrypted even if you run FV.

And in turn, this led to the OP contacting SuperDuper! (SD!) where they not only confirmed that FV or not, the BU was not encrypted.

But, for me anyway, the more interesting response was that SD! (and I believe CCC) do not recommend carrying out encryption. They were fairly emphatic about this, saying that whilst possible to do, it could lead to all sorts of potential problems if you ever needed to clone from the BU to your Mac.

The way I deal with my cloned BUs is that I carry out one per week and remove the BU External Hard Drive (EHD) to a hideout within my property. Most people who use Time Machine probably don't need a cloned BU more often than once a week, so it's not a big problem hiding the EHD somewhere reasonably secure.

Hope that might help.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.