Q regarding wifi access change

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have had a gazillion mac products from the beginning of time BUT what I don't know is how to do the IT type stuff. I have been relying on my ex who set it all up and I want to change network name, (can I keep the same password?) and I want to delete a separate network attached to the same router. (yes, confusing) any help?
I will need to change the wifi access to quite a few things...laptop,iPhone,iPad, bose ****, god knows what else.............

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let's start with the basics here. What gear are we making changes to? Changing the network name is done at the router level and where it's done varies slightly from one device to another.

Also what devices do you need to make changes to? That can make a difference in where you look for the settings.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Here's the basic problem I have.
I really know nothing outside the "Apple" world. My ex took over the house router/modem and of course it's some "Netgear" one I believe. He programmed it, put in this ridiculously long password (yes I have that still) but he also added on the same network , another "unlocked " same wifi but it says "guests' All his buddies used it and i get a bit freaked out that I have an unlocked access into my wifi internet connection.
He is out of my life now and I would LOVE to change everything and delete that free access to my wifi.Should i just get rid of this stuff i have NO clue how to work? I used to have a mac airport about 8 years ago.is there a good wifi router now with Apple-easy to use? Is that Time Machine really worth it? (I'll be honest i rarely back up my computer-bad habit I know)
My new Mac Air is my toy, music, internet searching, shopping, FB, emails, bills,and some work access -I go thru a server for a big airline.
any ideas what I should do? I refuse to be stranded in my cottage with no internet when it goes down,then i have no clue what to do with his stuff he left me.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First off Time Machine is a pretty good way to back up your Mac. It's easy to set up and pretty much runs unnoticed in the background. To run it you'll want an external hard drive to save the backups to. This video gives a good overview. I think it's for an earlier version of OS X but the same steps apply.

No need to throw out the existing gear and buy more stuff. If you can find the model number on that Netgear router we can probably find appropriate directions. It will probably be on the front ir underside if the device. If you have multiple pieces of network gear pass on all the names and model numbers and we'll try to sort out the confusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.