Purpose of DiskMaker

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Jake, I went through the entire process again, and it looks like things worked this time. The Lion roared and I ended up with 6.28 GB on my Install disk.

So I restarted my iMac with the DiskMaker install disk and arrived at a screen that gave me four options:
(1) Restore from Time Machine backup
(2) Install OS X
(3) Get Help Online
(4) Disk Utilities

I assume if I truly wanted to do an install from my new disk, I would select (2). Is that correct?

But since it was getting late and since I really didn't want to do an install, I just assumed the install disk was working as it should and I shutdown my iMac for the night.

Thanks again for bearing with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Which you select depends on what you are trying to do.

(1) Restore from Time Machine backup
(2) Install OS X
(3) Get Help Online
(4) Disk Utilities

3 is easy, it just gets you online help from Apple. No mystery there.

2 will install the OS for you. If that is all that is needed, it will overlay the OS there with a new copy from the Installer.

4 will allow you to repartition, reformat, erase the HD. So, if you had to replace the internal drive, for example, you would first do 4 to create the partition and format the drive to prepare it for installation. Then run 2 to get the OS installed and finally 1 to do a restoration from a TM backup to that new drive. At the end, you should have a "new" drive that works for you and has all the same stuff you had before (accounts, files, preferences, etc).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Thanks Jake. I am now finally finished with my DiskMaker install disk until I really need it. You guided me through an unfamiliar process.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click the "Like" button on the lower right of your screen. See my example above.

The reaction scores and points are done by the forum software according to algorithms.
So how did you get your name "chscag" to appear beside the thumbs up? When I click on Like, it just says "You".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, when I look at your "Like" I see the thumbs up symbol and the name "durango".

That's the way the software is designed. When you view the likes you posted and are logged in to the forums the word "you" will be displayed.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, when I look at your "Like" I see the thumbs up symbol and the name "durango".

That's the way the software is designed. When you view the likes you posted and are logged in to the forums the word "you" will be displayed.
Thanks. I guess the software was designed so I would ask another question, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.