Progress Bar Frozen (after High Sierra update)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have:
Mac Mini (2015)
Updated to High Sierra (11/14/17, every worked fine, until *)
Running Bootcamp (windows boots perfectly)
Last Backup: 11/14/17, before upgrade to High Sierra

*So, I received notification that there was an update to High Sierra 2 days age, so I allowed that update to occur. I had no issues as there
was no re-boot required.

I used the mini for a day or so, I needed to do something in windows, so I rebooted, ran windows did my thing and then shutdown to get back
to Mac. I selected to run Mac the black screen with the white apple and progress bar comes up and it freezes, at first around 95% and now
it's sticks at 100%.

I rebooted many times, unplugged the machine, check the disk for errors (there were none) and still cannot get the machine to finish the
starting with mac OSX.

Next I decided to reload High Sierra through the recovery mode. The screen is black, white apple logo and progress bar stuck at 100%, I have
left it for six hours at this point.

Should I try and restore from backup done on 11/14/17?

Again, the mac boots in windows just fine.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,
David Martinez

Other things of note:

Could not do a safe boot as the computer starts in Windows when I select the SHIFT key after restart.

Tried PRAM reset, that didn't appear to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry, but there is no 2015 Mac mini? Latest Mac mini is a late 2014 model.

On to your problem, how are you trying to access recovery mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

It may be a different procedure with High Sierra.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello,

Update.

So, thanks for the notes first (yes Mac Mini Late 2014, sorry).

I was able to restore from my time machine backup from 11/14/17, although after that I was caught in a "Finder quit unexpectedly..." loop, so I rebooted
to COMMAND-R and reloaded Yosemite. I think the Time Machine drive had some issues as well, so I purchased a new external to use, the old one was
quite old.

Everything works very well now.

Question: Does High Sierra work with Bootcamp?

I just upgraded to FileMaker 16 and cannot load it on this version of OSX (Yosemite 10.10.5) so I'd like to try High Sierra again....

...I am a bit anxious though.

Thank you for the help thus far.

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.