program to download videos off you tube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 I mac Os X
Hi guys( and means girls too).New to the forum. Bought a 2017 I Mac 27" running OS X I think. On my old microsoft run HP.:) I would be on You-tube running mozilla and a program running I think video downloader. I could watch/download fireworks videos with a click and it would capture it to my desktop as a file and then I could add it to my other files various firework videos. Alas when mozilla updated I am unable to do it now. I would rather be on the Mac. Much better screen and clarity. What program do you suggest to download,also willing to pay for a program if necessary but not over $30. Would prefer a free download. I currently have over 300 videos in categories. I do not like storing them in favorites on their site because they get removed at times and I cannot categorize them.
Iam over 60 yo and not that skilled at this so looking for an easy to work program. Any suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forums.

There are a number of browser extensions or stand-alone applications that do this for the Mac.

Since you mentioned Mozilla I assume you're running Firefox. If so you can probably find something useful here. You mght even try searching for the name of the extension you were ussing to see if there is a Mac version. I don't use Firefox much so I can't offer much more there.

There are also extensions for Safari that do the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't remember the one that I used to use. From within Safari go to the Safari Menu>Preferences>Extensions>More Extensions.

I'm currently using an application called ClipGrab

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 I mac Os X
Thank you. Something to start with. Idid see a post also for fastest Tube. I was running firefox on the old HP, It is safari I think on my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There is a Firefox version for the Mac. Don't know if it works the same as on the Windows machines, but thought you ought to know it exists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I could be wrong here, but I think Downloading from You Tube has now been disabled, something to do with copyright. I used to use Fastest Tube in Safari Extensions but for some reason after the new upgrade last Autumn it disappeared and I have been told that downloading is now illegal.

I don't use Fire-fox so cannot speak about any extensions that may be available for that browser. HTH.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am Currently running Firefox Quantum (the latest vesrsion of Firefox) on my MacBook Pro. If you had an account with Mozilla on your Windows PC you can login to Firefox with the same credentials thus saving all of your bookmarks. You can also import any bookmarks from Safari to Firefox. Once you have it up and running click on the three bars (top right of the tool bar) and in the menu that appears select "Add-ons". You can then search the extension site for compatible extensions for downloading You Tube clips which should go to your downloads folder by default.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I could be wrong here, but I think Downloading from You Tube has now been disabled, something to do with copyright.

I don't think Google has stopped the downloading but they do have about two pages of legalese that one needs to read. Most of it has to do with copyright (as member Gandalph indicated) and the rights of the originators. Downloading certain videos (instructional videos for example) usually do not infer copyright but others such as music do. I guess it's like anything else that falls under copyright, let your conscience be your guide.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree with the above. At the end of the day it's often about redistribution. eg. I used "1-Click YouTube Video Downloader" to download a lecture. I would assume it would be covered by copyright and certainly is the intellectual property of the lecturer. I do not intend to show it publicly, share it, nor will I edit it in any way. I will watch it with my wife then delete it. I can see no harm in this but you can see where I am going.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 I mac Os X
I don't think Google has stopped the downloading but they do have about two pages of legalese that one needs to read. Most of it has to do with copyright (as member Gandalph indicated) and the rights of the originators. Downloading certain videos (instructional videos for example) usually do not infer copyright but others such as music do. I guess it's like anything else that falls under copyright, let your conscience be your guide.

Thank you a lot for the help. I thought it was an issue with the video downloader program. I used to save a lot of video on knot tying and programs that showed a firework display ranging from a few minutes to over 45 minutes. Unfortunately a lot of them are pyromusicals that have misc/songs attached.
On to another theme I am not sure if I should start a new thread. I copy pages/articles from hunting/fishing, car/truck, flying magazines etc. Is the a program app that lets me scan then in to read like a book. When I scan each page in say 5 pages it will only let me see one then trying to view the next page I have to do multiple clicks to get to the next page . Is there some way to hit an arrow or forward button to seamlessly get to the next page?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For videos on the Mac i use Firefox so I can use Video Download helper. Works great for me with You Tube.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too use Download Helper it's pretty good but I tried it with a You Tube clip, something I don't usually do because I seldom save You Tube clips, and found it would not save. Obviously things have changed because I'm sure it used to work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get city council meetings for a friend who speaks at them and needs the video for his organization, and so far have never had an issue getting them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe it has something to do with government or location laws?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 I mac Os X
Yea, i had issue with Video downloader and Fastest tube. neither would transfer to another file on my computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 I mac Os X
Maybe it has something to do with government or location laws?

Ill bet Russia or North Korea can get them,LOL. Maybe just the government watching everything I do on my Mac. Not sure why clips on how to tie knots would violate any copyrights but **** lawyers in the USA. Sigh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.