Problems with Yosemite and Internet

Reaction score
Hi. I’m having a problem similar to the one posted here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/internet-networking-wireless/121412-help-airport-all-ok-except-failed-internet-failed-server.html

That post is from 2008 and no one provided a solution.

However, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me. Here is my situation:

I have an IMac, purchased in 2007. I also have an Airport Extreme base station that is connected to a cable modem. I have the IMac connected to the Internet via wifi from the Airport Extreme.

This week, I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite — both my internal drive and an external drive.

When I run Yosemite from my internal drive, I get errors saying I’m not connected to the Internet for most apps, including Apple’s apps: Mail, iTunes, Calendar, App Store etc. I am successfully able to connect to the Internet with a few third-party apps: Google Chrome and Skype. But most third-party apps aren’t able to connect, including Dropbox, Firefox and Opera.

When I run Yosemite from my external drive, I don’t have problems with any apps. I am able to access the Internet just fine.

When I run Airport Utility when my internal drive is the startup disk, my Airport Extreme base station doesn’t show up. Also, near the globe at the top, the little dot indicating whether I’m connected to the Internet is orange.

When I run Airport Utility when my external drive is the startup disk, my Airport Extreme is recognized and Airport Utility shows green dots indicating I’m connected to the Internet.

I also have a 4th generation IPod Touch. It’s able to access the Internet via wifi just fine; so it's able to recognize the wifi network from the Airport Extreme.

When I run Yosemite from my internal drive and I run Network Diagnostics (part of Network Preferences), Network Status shows red dots for Internet and Server. Those dots are green when I run Yosemite from my external drive.

So I don’t understand why Yosemite is working fine with Airport Extreme when I’m booted from my external drive, but it’s not finding the Airport Extreme when booted from my internal drive. I'm running the same version of Mac OS (Yosemite) on both drives and both drives are trying to access the same router.

I did try restarting my cable modem and the router with no luck.

Any ideas what I can to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks.

Skylamar

OP
S
Reaction score
chas, not sure what your question is.

Airport Utility is an app in the Utilities folder that allows you to configure Airport Extreme routers.

It's not recognizing my Airport Extreme when I boot from my internal drive. But it is noticing it when I boot from my external drive.

C

chas_m

chas, not sure what your question is.

Airport Utility is an app in the Utilities folder that allows you to configure Airport Extreme routers.

It's not recognizing my Airport Extreme when I boot from my internal drive. But it is noticing it when I boot from my external drive.

Sorry, I didn't see that you had run Airport Utility when booted from the suspect drive.

The obvious answer is that something in your Wi-Fi setup when booted from the first drive is very wrong, thus taking the Airport Extreme offline. You'll want to go through your Wi-Fi setup in system preferences step-by-step and compare notes with the version on the "good" Yosemite install to discover the differences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.