Problems with the new Photos app.

Reaction score
Hey,

First post here simply because i've never been this confused before. I'm starting to pull my hair out.

I updated the to latest version of Yosemite and the new Photos app a couple of days ago now. I also switch iCloud on and upgraded to 200GB of data. I have switched everything iCloud related to "On" on both my Macbook Pro Retina and my iPhone 4S. Now, as I am led to believe, my photos should start uploading automatically to iCloud so they will be backed up.
This is not happening. Its gets to "Uploading 20,207 photos" but then nothing happens. No photos are in the cloud and it has been two days now.

Does anyone know why this is?

Also, My Photo Stream is switched on on both the Mac and my iPhone yet when I take a picture with my phone, it does not show up in Photos. Somehow though, previous photos I have taken on my phone have shown up in Photos without connecting a cable.

I am truly confused by all of this as well as the poor organisation of Photos, especially in the 'Photos' tab. It automatically gives each day a title. For example, I spent the day in Toulouse last week and took a few photos. They are there all grouped together in one day but have a title of "Toulouse University, Social Sciences". I don't believe I ever went near the university and even if I did, I don't think I would want to name that particular set of photos like that.

So basically, my question is -

Am I doing something wrong for the photos to not upload at all? Everything is switched on just like all the instructions on the Apple website says.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Matt

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The naming is probably just the camera pegging the photos to a location and odds are, at some point, you were in an area it identified as being near or in the university.

One thing to consider is connectivity. Is your phone on WiFi?

OP
M
Reaction score
I guessed it was some kind of geo-tagging. Is there anyway to turn it off so it doesn't locate where the photos are.

I have the wi-fi turned on as well. Everything is as it should be as i've followed the instructions on the Apple website but nothing uploads to iCloud.

OP
M
Reaction score
Within the space of two days, my Macbook and Apple are the most annoying things. iCloud just isn't working at all. I want to downgrade my 200GB storage plan back to the free 5GB but it asked me to put my password in when I click on "Manage" yet it doesn't accept my password....ever, and yes, my password is correct.

Photos is still annoying as **** and some very basic design faults are clearly visible and I hope they will be rectified and updates hopefully released very soon.

Also, I am unable to import photos/videos from my GoPro via a USB lead but it works when I stick the MiniSD card into the SD card slot.

I think they've released Photos a little too early. How can you not organise your albums by date. I mean seriously!!! The naming system is a complete mess.

The 'All Photo's' section is just a complete mess especially with Photo Stream turned on. It could at least notice that over the past 4 days, all of my photos have been taken in the same town and group them together.

I for one will be sticking with iPhoto for as long os possible. The 'Events' system is so much better and way easier to understand and navigate than the new Photos.

iPhoto wasn't broke so why fix it. I'm sure they could have redesigned it and tweaked it so it worked alongside iCloud and follows similar design traits as other apps.

Sorry about the rant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
iPhoto wasn't broke so why fix it. I'm sure they could have redesigned it and tweaked it so it worked alongside iCloud and follows similar design traits as other apps.

Sorry about the rant.

No iPhoto wasn't broken, but Apple isn't trying to fix it. They are replacing it, with Photos. Photos in iOS and OS X are more tuned to iCloud than iPhoto was, and that is the direction that Apple is heading.

Correct me if I'm wrong please someone

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No iPhoto wasn't broken, but Apple isn't trying to fix it. They are replacing it, with Photos. Photos in iOS and OS X are more tuned to iCloud than iPhoto was, and that is the direction that Apple is heading.

Correct me if I'm wrong please someone

Cheers

I can not correct you as I believe you are 100% right! :D

I am sure one person here might try though! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
I can not correct you as I believe you are 100% right! :D

I am sure one person here might try though! :D

Nice try!

I understand them wanting to streamline things and make it all look the same but I just can't get used to 'Collections'. I do like the idea of it but I don't like how it separates everything into different collections that you have no control over. I would much rather have the collections section just showing the albums that I have with the corresponding names.

Anyway, I can't change it and will have to learn to use it. I'm sure i'll have a lot of reorganising to do to get rid of all the different dates that are showing as names for Collections.

The thing with Apple is, they could literally give you a pile of crap and as long as it had the Apple logo on it, the die hard fans would be happy. I'm sure you know what I mean.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nice try? All I did was back what was said that Apple is going all cloud and duplicate apps on ipad and Macs.

Look at the new Macbook? It's an iPad with a keyboard. Soldered in storage. All set up for iCloud. That is exactly where Apple is headed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nice try? All I did was back what was said that Apple is going all cloud and duplicate apps on ipad and Macs.

Look at the new Macbook? It's an iPad with a keyboard. Soldered in storage. All set up for iCloud. That is exactly where Apple is headed.

It was in response to "I'm sure one person here might try though". I thought you were expecting me to launch into some rant and try and correct the other guy.

It obvious to see that they are making everything the same on Mac, iPad and iPhone. While the Photo app might work with the iPhone and iPad, I don't think it works as well as it could when dealing with a photo library of 120GB. A few albums/folders you sync to your mobile devices, it can handle that and organise it well, just not 50,000 photos.

Anyway, i'm sure a lot of people will be feeling the same as me but then we all probably felt the same when we bought our first Mac. I'll come around eventually.

By the way, can you help with my original questions at all? It says "Uploading xxxx photos" but the number never changes. It just seems to be uploading the pictures from my phone to iCloud, not from my Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D Grin Not you! We have a couple of members here that almost worship Apple and if anyone says anything negative they will come correct us!

Sorry about any misunderstanding. Not directed at you in the least! :D

I wish I could help you but for now I have anything turned off that uploads to iCloud. I just do not trust my stuff in the cloud at this time! I will see what I can find though and get back to you if I can find anything.

OP
M
Reaction score
I too have now turned iCloud off mostly out of frustration. I'll keep everything backed up on an external HD for the time being until upload speeds improve and I fully understand it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
All this talk of the cloud is just a joke when you live in the wilds of Yorkshire (*) and on a good day, ie one with a phone signal, I'm lucky to get 5Mbps. Relying on the iCloud for anything would be a nonsense here.

* Other places may also exist with an equally poor signal. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm currently in a small village in the south of France and if its a clear day i'll download at just under 1MB per sec. I dread to think what the upload speed will be.

But I think it would be better to wait a while before sending everything to the cloud. I'm sure they'll find some problems and issue a couple of updated. Until then i'm going to stay away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It obvious to see that they are making everything the same on Mac, iPad and iPhone. While the Photo app might work with the iPhone and iPad, I don't think it works as well as it could when dealing with a photo library of 120GB. A few albums/folders you sync to your mobile devices, it can handle that and organise it well, just not 50,000 photos.

Not quite true. I will admit, for some, that Photos isn't working as it should, but read this post from PhotosAppExpert ~ Written by Joseph formerly ApertureExpert, where he moved 110,000+ images close to 1TB to Photos and uploaded to the cloud.
It all worked fine, even though it was a 3 day job. It does show though, Photos works well, with a HUGE library.

PS: Sorry for the confusion earlier, as it was a inhouse joke :)

Reaction score
Blurry photos

Since updating to Photos, I'm experiencing an issue where my pics are blurry when I'm scrolling through an Album or previewing the pics. Once I hit "edit" the pics sharpen back to original form. I'm also seeing the same types of issues when pulling pics into imovie. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Reaction score
Ok I Can answer all of this.

1. Since updating to Photos, I'm experiencing an issue where my pics are blurry when I'm scrolling through an Album or previewing the pics. Once I hit "edit" the pics sharpen back to original form. I'm also seeing the same types of issues when pulling pics into imovie. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Answer: this is because you need a higher megapixel camera photo's works best with 6 though 22 megapixel camera's was a tester for photos have no clue why this is but it is what it is.

iCloud uploading issues:

1. 20,000 photo's basically 20 gig's or better of photo's if you think apple is going to let you upload that many photos at once you are living in a pipe dream the max iCloud can accept at one time is 30 photo's no more no less also make sure the photo's are not labeled with suspicious names or it can get tagged as adult entertainment and other nasty things.

2. Make sure you have the ports open for iCloud on your router if you don't have them open iCloud will just sit in neutral and do nothing.

3. unless you have unlimited data on your phone you will need wifi to connect the phone to to upload photos apart of the data usage apps built into the iPhone including iCloud won't work unless your on wireless.

This is true for several carriers.

including.

Vodaphone
T-Mobile
Verizon
AT&T
Mobile go
I Wireless

Time and time again people complain there phones are not uploading to the cloud not noticing that you have to be on wifi at a coffee shop or other source

Reaction score
Since updating to Photos, I'm experiencing an issue where my pics are blurry when I'm scrolling through an Album or previewing the pics. Once I hit "edit" the pics sharpen back to original form. I'm also seeing the same types of issues when pulling pics into imovie. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I think your device's iCloud Photo Library setting is optimized not full res. This saves space on your device by only pulling down the full res image when you need it, not the entire Library.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think your device's iCloud Photo Library setting is optimized not full res. This saves space on your device by only pulling down the full res image when you need it, not the entire Library.

^^^Open Photos - Preferences - iCloud tab
You can change the setting from Optimize Mac storage to Download originals to this computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.