problems with Messages in MacOS

Reaction score
I have a couple of very weird issues I'm working on here with Messages on Mac. Wondering if anyone could help.

Problem 1 -- doing a search in Messages shows the message threads as they were several months ago, not current
Problem 2 -- messages is slow and beachballing the computer

A little history:
I started working with the customer about a year ago. He had a 2011 MBA. One issue he was having was doing a search in Messages on his Mac would not show the most up-to-date message in the respective message threads. For example: even though it was November, when we did a search for someone's name in Messages it showed the thread as it looked back in August. We tried signing out and back in to iCloud, etc., to no avail. Apple senior tech support weren't able to help either.

Fast forward to this year. When the 2018 MBP was released this summer he upgraded to that machine and we set up the machine with a clean OS (no time machine restore). We connected everything to iCloud, including Messages. No problems, everything worked fine. However just last week the issue surfaced again on the new machine, except with a vengeance. In addition to the search threads now reverting to August of this year (oddly, going back to the same month just a year later), Messages is also very slow, revving up his processor and is beachballing his system. This is odd to see for a brand new MBP with 16GB RAM and a 2.7GHz i7. I took some screenshots of Activity Monitor and the message phenomenon when my name is searched (shows August as the most recent thread with me, even though the most current thread with me should have shown late October). I again tried the complete sign out/sign in thing for iCloud & Messages again just to see if that would resolve it, but no dice. Would love to consult with anyone who has answers on this one. The customer prefers to use MacOS almost exclusively to send and receive messages, so this is a huge inconvenience and he is happy to hire someone to resolve this. I'm definitely in over my head and would love to see what you'd suggest or do for him.

I've attached screenshots of the Activity Monitor, as well as a shot of the current message thread with me along with the back-dated thread that only shows our convo from August.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0550.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.25.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.21.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.19.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.17.30 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It's very likely a corrupt message data base that's causing this. Since you setup his new machine with a clean install rather than from a backup, the corruption is probably at the iCloud end unless he has another messaging app that he uses. (For example "WhatsApp") It is strange though that his message data base reverts back to August in both scenarios.

I'm not sure how you can access iCloud and clear this up. Surely someone at the Apple tech level should be able to offer suggestions?

OP
T
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

It's very likely a corrupt message data base that's causing this. Since you setup his new machine with a clean install rather than from a backup, the corruption is probably at the iCloud end unless he has another messaging app that he uses. (For example "WhatsApp") It is strange though that his message data base reverts back to August in both scenarios.

I'm not sure how you can access iCloud and clear this up. Surely someone at the Apple tech level should be able to offer suggestions?

Thanks so much for your reply. He actually does use WhatsApp. I wonder how to sort this. Apple tech support wasn't able to help previously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.