Problems with iPhone SE

Reaction score
I have a new iPhone SE and have discovered a couple glitches with it.
1. I cannot make screen prints by holding the home button and the top side button down at the exact same time. In the beginning, in the beginning I could do this after making an attempt two or three times, but now it doesn't work at all.
2. I can't do a "hard reboot" by holding down the two button mentioned above either. Is this not possible with the SE? I can reboot by holding down the top side button by it itself, but I wanted to do a hard reboot to fix my #1 problem.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Apple the screen print should work as before. Here's what they say:

"Press the Top button and the Home button at the same time. Quickly release both buttons. After you take a screenshot, a thumbnail temporarily appears in the lower-left corner of your screen."

Again this is what Apple says about hard restarting your SE 2020:

Force restart iPhone 8 or iPhone SE (2nd generation)

"Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button."

If neither of the above is working for you and you're sure you're pressing the proper buttons the way Apple describles, then, you probably need to contact Apple Care.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The timing of these actions is all important. Not ever having tried a "hard" reboot on my SE 20 I thought I'd give it a go. The first three tried just took me to the slide button to switch off. On the fourth try I kept holding the right button until the Apple logo eventually appeared. So, assuming I'd gotten it wrong when the power off slider appeared was a mistake. Apple would say we told you to, "hold the button down until the Apple logo appeared," and they'd be right. They could have added, if you see the power off slider just ignore it, keep holding the button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As for the screen shot function that too takes a bit of practice but I get it 4 out if 5 times now.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
After finally being able to do a hard reboot, I was able to screen print. Strange “improvements” from Apple I must say. Thanks to all who replied. You’re the best.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You are welcome, well done getting it sorted. You should try resetting the PRAM on a MBP; restart and hold Command-Option-P-R keys down at the same time for about 20 secs. This is difficult even with two hands and again the timing is critical. Esoteric stuff huh? :ROFLMAO:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.