Problems with backing up data

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum, so hello! I have a problem with a hard drive, so hopefully you guys/gals can help resolve this crazy problem I am having. I'll provide the most accurate information I can and of what I know, and the steps I've taken to try to solve it. Also, a tl;dr is at the bottom.

The biggest and main problem: I have a Macbook 2006 (MB06) running Leopard that is a necessary evil. When I turn it on, I can log in, but when it hits the desktop, I have about 20 seconds to do whatever I want before 1) the spinning wheel randomly pops up and stays like that for up to 10 seconds and 2) when it isn't a spinning wheel, opening applications, opening files such as a txt, clicking, and even dragging becomes a) laggy and responds in 30 seconds or b) doesn't respond at all. 5 minutes later of this craziness and the computer is frozen. Completely. This then requires a restart, and doing the whole thing again.

What I did #1: I hooked up a Macbook 2010 (MB10) running Yosemite & W7 to the MB06 through Firewire. On the MB10, I was able to see the files on the MB06, but when I tried to copy and paste / drag the files onto a) an external hard drive or b) MB10 drive, a popup would show like you would normally see the number of items being transferred over and how long it'll take. In my case, that popped up, but what it showed was the number of items being transferred, zero bytes remaining of so and so, and stay at that window not moving at all. The targeted folder of where I copied the files to, show the files there as if they are being transferred (represented by the symbol of progressing), but unaccessible as it is not a complete transfer. I've tried to click the X button to stop the transfer, but it wouldn't work, so therefore I have to pull out of the firewire or restart computer to just stop the connection (at risk of losing files).

What I did #2: I hooked up the MB06 hard drive to a "SABRENT USB 3.0 TO SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25-INCH Hard Drive Converter With Power Supply & LED Activity Lights [4TB Support] (USB-DSC9)". The problem that happened in what I did previously, happened here as well, in addition to going through the directories which were very, very, very, slow. So, like before, the only way to stop the transfer as it isn't even going through, is through turning off the switch on the adapter or remove the USB from port, which both cases are a risk for losing data.

tl;dr - Cannot backup files from MB06 either Firewire or USB to SATA adapter as I encounter freezing of transfers which don't go through and accessing files/directories are very, very, very, slow.

Any further questions regarding my problem I'll do my best to answer them. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you in advance!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is the problem drive the original one for that '06 or an older drive?

How many files were you trying to copy when the problem occurs? Sometimes you cab complete the copy by moving fewer files at one time?

Are you able to run Disk Utility on the problem drive? If so, what are the results? my bet is the drive may be on its last legs.

OP
I
Reaction score
Is the problem drive the original one for that '06 or an older drive?

How many files were you trying to copy when the problem occurs? Sometimes you cab complete the copy by moving fewer files at one time?

Are you able to run Disk Utility on the problem drive? If so, what are the results? my bet is the drive may be on its last legs.
The problem drive is the original one for '06.

At first I tried to copy a whole folder that had about 15GB in it but then it got really slow, and then at one point stopped responding altogether. I tried transferring a few files at a time, and as of now, this seems to be the way to go at the moment. I'm still encountering the frequent "freezes", but I'm letting it sit there and try to work through this slow process.

I'll try the Disk Utility after I've backed up the most important documents. I'll respond back when I've done so.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you were able to start backing things up. If that drive really is starting to go you'll br glad you did.

OP
I
Reaction score
Glad you were able to start backing things up. If that drive really is starting to go you'll br glad you did.
I'm at the point where the freezes are too frequent, making the process of backing up the data a slow and dreadful process. Is there a faster way of doing this that I missed or should I continue on this path? Also, do you know why it takes a long time for the MB10 to show the files off the drive of MB06?

C

chas_m

It sounds like you have waited too long to back up that drive, and the drive is now in the full throes of failing and will soon not respond at all.

Reaction score
Actually you might still be able to rescue it..

You would need a external hard drive case for a laptop hard drive and a new replacement drive and you might be able to copy the data over to the new drive it sounds like the o.s is having the issue with copying that large of a file it might not be the file itself but a o.s failure.

You can simply just reinstall mac os x leopard and copy your data back over from the old drive and reinstall your applications.

OP
I
Reaction score
Actually you might still be able to rescue it..

You would need a external hard drive case for a laptop hard drive and a new replacement drive and you might be able to copy the data over to the new drive it sounds like the o.s is having the issue with copying that large of a file it might not be the file itself but a o.s failure.

You can simply just reinstall mac os x leopard and copy your data back over from the old drive and reinstall your applications.
I'm cloning the drive onto an external hard drive with SuperDuper. It's slow, and it hangs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And hate to say it may have errors also if it hanging too much.

OP
I
Reaction score
SuperDuper stopped on me about 1.5 hours in and output a crashlog. Guess I'm back to dragging the files and just wait out the hangs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Believe that will also have errors alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.