Problem with Yosemite and Aperture.

Reaction score
I down loaded Yosemite. It doesn't support my version of Aperture. Apple is not going forward with Aperture so I don't want to spend the money for an upgrade of Aperture. I am switching to Photoshop Elements. How can I access my photos without being able to open Aperture?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of Aperture are you using? I have either 3.6 or 3.8 don't remember which but it seems to be working OK.

Are you getting any error messages?

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have Aperture 3.4.5. When I try to open the program a box pops up which says " You can't use this version of the application "Aperture" with this version of OS X."
I back up on Time Machine so do you think I can get my photos off the back up?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As far as I'm aware, the latest and last version of Aperture is 3.5.1.

Apple has said it will continue to support both iPhoto & Aperture (in their latest versions) with Yosemite. For how long we don't know, but at least until mid 2015. Thereafter, my reading suggests, Aperture will still be usable as a stand-alone (just not supported) and it will be merge-able, along with iPhoto, into Photo.

My point is: is it worth the expense of getting Photoshop Elements and then finding a way of recovering your Aperture images — versus the modest cost of updating Aperture (if there is a cost) and then sticking with Aperture until either you merge it with the new Photo, keep it as a stand-alone or then consider Photoshop Elements or better still, Lightroom?

Ian

Reaction score
Aperture and Yosemite

I am having a completely useless conversation with Apple about the same thing. I have upgraded to Yosemite and suddenly Aperture didn't work. I was told to update it, I tried, but the App store no longer has any upgrade for Aperture. So my photos are stored on a separate hard drive, as is the Aperture Library, but I can't access them because I can't open Aperture - or at least I could still access the photos but not the work I have done on them.

The stupid thing is hat I am in the process of starting to use Capture One because Apple are ceasing to support Aperture, but hadn't yet transported the old pics across. Probably can do, but that's not the point.

Apple have deserted us and I am furious. I can't see me ever buying any of their software ever again.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@lizziebea

Since I last posted on this (#4 above), folks have been describing workarounds for the "Catch 22" situation of not being able to use iPhoto or Aperture because it is out of date, yet being unable to update via the Apple Store.

Try this:

Go into Applications, find the Aperture app, drag it out of Applications on to the Desktop. (NB I am talking Aperture app, NOT your Aperture Library).

Now, go to the App Store and Click the Purchases Tab. You should now be able to download Aperture because you previously purchased it and it will be the latest version compatible with Yosemite. It will automatically be put in the Applications Folder. Try it and if it works, you can then Trash the older version from your Desktop.

Please post back.

Ian

Reaction score
hi ian

Thanks for that. I actually had to trash all of Aperture to get the App shop to allow me to download. But I now have my library back and can complete learning how to transfer into Capture One. This allegedly will transfer all of the Aperture Library data along with the pic. I had alway thought that I would leave present photos where they are and start from now to run Capture One, but think that I might transfer all of library now.

I can't tell you how much delighted I am with your help

Liz

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Well done. Very happy for you. Good luck with your project.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.