Problem with Installer

Reaction score
I did a re-install of OSX 10.5 on my Powerbook G4 and had no problem installing the updates until I got to 10.5.8. It asked me for both my username/password but kept giving me an "Invalid username or password" error message. Even when I went into Accounts or rebooted the machine with the install disk and changed the password, it still won't accept it. Is there a workout around for this like disabling the whole user/pass feature? It's easy to do in Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.2Ghz Quad-Core, Mid 2010
Well, you can try the "old tried and true"- make another user admin account and see if it still does it?

If you back up your stuff, then if everything works, transfer it over to the new user account and delete the old one.

One other thing that cures a lot of update problems is to download the "combined" update instead of doing them individually. For some reason, for some, the "all in one" update, which in your case would be "combined 10.5.8 update", seems to work better then doing them individually.

It has been suggested to also "repair permissions" after each update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.