Problem with G5 2.3ghz going to black screen at login and OS re-install attempt

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. (long time visitor, first post)
I bought a used Mac Pro G5 2.3ghz (Salvation Army=no refunds)
It didn't come with the password so I couldn't login.

It powered on to the password screen so i bought it planning to do a clean OS install.
When I attempt to put in any password it goes to a black screen (time to black screen varies) but the system stays on (SIDE NOTE: sometimes it would not act up at all. It will stay at the login screen for hours with no problem.)

I have the OS disk and every time I try to start the install it shuts down (goes to a black screen but the system is still on)

I made a video to show whats happening and posted it to you tube if that helps.

I took the machine apart and blew out 10 years of dust buildup and tried again. NOGO.

I'm hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction because my next step would be to replace the logic board. Is it possible this is a HDD issue?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
RD

Here is a vid clip of the issue:
https://youtu.be/-jOl1r5g84M

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a used Mac Pro G5 2.3ghz (Salvation Army=no refunds)

Firstly…it's not a "Mac Pro G5". There are Mac Pro's…and there are Powermac G5's…they are separate models. Since you mentioned 2.3ghz…it's probably a Powermac G5.

It didn't come with the password so I couldn't login.

You should explain in more detail what you're doing. Like…I turned on the computer…waiting for it to boot up…and now I'm presented with a password window. And of course you don't have the password. :)

I mention this because not all Mac's need a password entered to get full access to the computer. This is something the previous owner setup.

It powered on to the password screen so i bought it planning to do a clean OS install.

Ok…you planned on reinstalling the OS…but did you actually do it? You didn't say.

When I attempt to put in any password it goes to a black screen (time to black screen varies) but the system stays on (SIDE NOTE: sometimes it would not act up at all. It will stay at the login screen for hours with no problem.)

Are we still talking about this computer in the condition you purchased it…or is this after a clean install of the OS?

I have the OS disk and every time I try to start the install it shuts down (goes to a black screen but the system is still on)

- What OS disk do you have?
- What OS version is it?
- What color is it?
- Does it have any graphics printed on it…and what do the graphics look like?

I made a video to show whats happening and posted it to you tube if that helps.

Where's the video?

EDIT: Ok I see you posted the video.:)

I took the machine apart and blew out 10 years of dust buildup and tried again.

A great idea…I always do this too when I purchase a "new to me" used computer.:)

I'm hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction because my next step would be to replace the logic board.

I don't think that you'll be doing this. Way way way too expensive of an idea.

Is it possible this is a HDD issue?

Can't say until we get more info on what's been going on so far (answers to the questions above).

- Nick

p.s. Ok…I see you posted the video.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a late 2005 2.3GHz Dual Core G5. What disc are you using? A G5 can handle up to Leopard OS X.5 and if you are using a silver grey disc, unless it came with the machine when brand new will not work.

No hard drive and no memory may be telling you it is dead and not worth more than $50 to repair. Also be aware Macs are very fussy about memory and require dearer low density modules. Using high density PC modules will cause what you are seeing also. This is the memory for a Dual Core: and note must be matched pairs:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/4200DDR2M4GP/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at the video…and something is definitely not right.

Firstly…great idea posting a video…since I saw something you probably wouldn't have thought was a big deal.

What I'm referring to is the screen where you are asked to select a language. When presented with this screen…you should be getting a whole long list of languages…not just two (which is what I saw).

We definitely need answers to the question asked above.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, its a powermac. My bad.
2005 2.3GHz G5

No, I have not been able to install the OS. It continues to crash BUT it will stay at the login screen for hours without crashing.

As far as the OS disk version I have is 10.5.6 I don't have the original disk(its a copy, so I can't tell you the color). I purchased it from a knowledgeable, helpful person on ebay.(I almost bought the wrong disk and he helped me out)

I got to a point before crashing that said I need to go into settings? in order to install this version [not exact verbage] and it took me to a screen that showed different options and radio buttons to select and continue with the install however it crashed before I could read them.

Thanks everyone!

OP
R
Reaction score
I looked at the video…and something is definitely not right.

Firstly…great idea posting a video…since I saw something you probably wouldn't have thought was a big deal.

What I'm referring to is the screen where you are asked to select a language. When presented with this screen…you should be getting a whole long list of languages…not just two (which is what I saw).

We definitely need answers to the question asked above.:)

- Nick

I bought it on ebay so maybe he made that build and removed un-needed files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wouldn't be surprised if that PowerMac G5 isn't suffering from their classic bad/failed capacitor problem and not worth fixing these days IMHO.

And the iMac G5s were even worse.

But you could try booting using Safe Boot Mode and see if things are a bit better. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
it has 3 pairs of ram modules.
I removed them by pair each time booting the system but I get the same result.
Then I tried each matching pair (booting with 1 matching pair each time = black screen) so I think the ram is ok.

OP
R
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if that PowerMac G5 isn't suffering from their classic bad/failed capacitor problem and not worth fixing these days IMHO.

And the iMac G5s were even worse.

But you could try booting using Safe Boot Mode and see if things are a bit better. ;)

That's what I though.
I checked for bulging capacitors and they look ok to the eye.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought it on ebay so maybe he made that build and removed un-needed files?

As far as the OS disk version I have is 10.5.6 I don't have the original disk(its a copy, so I can't tell you the color). I purchased it from a knowledgeable, helpful person on ebay.(I almost bought the wrong disk and he helped me out)

Problem #1: ONLY original OS install disks are legitimate. Anything else is a violation of Apple's EULA.

Problem #2: If this disk was made by someone…there's no guarantee that some mistakes weren't made in the process.

Problem #3: We could try to help you all day long with this. But if this OS install is messed up in some way…we'll just be"spinning our wheels"…and pulling our hair out trying to sort this problems out. And all along it could be the OS install disk.

It would really be best to purchase an original 10.5 install disk. Unfortunately…this might cost you more than you paid for the computer.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
This time i tried to use the disk utility-see video-

https://youtu.be/1g1_IFcr_UA

The video link above shows where i made it to select the disk utility and then it crashed.

previously;
I started into safe mode but without the correct password I couldn't do anything. After a few attempts it crashes.Sometimes it will stay at the login screen while I try to guess the password (using the previous owners hint) without crashing, other times it crashes.

I used the option to change the password (see video for option list) and deleted the password leaving the new password blank but when I rebooted the password was still active not letting me log in.

Frustrating..... :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As far as the helpful person on eBay goes..careful. A silver grey disc will not work and an original retail version of the DVD with a Snow Leopard on it will run aboiut $60 or so. If it is a plain disc may be pirated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An Apple grey install disc will work if it's for a compatible Mac and one can purchase a compatible OS X Snow Leopard install disk from Apple for $20.00.

Just saying… both can work. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget OP has a Powermac G5. No Snow Leopard with that.

- Nick

Reaction score
I can tell you why it's crashing the person sold you a os x86 disk of leopard and its trying to feed intel code into a power pc processor.

Go to amazon buy a real mac os x leopard dvd from a real source.

and use that

but honestly again the machine is going to cost you 200.00 + to get running i wouldn't bother

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget OP has a Powermac G5. No Snow Leopard with that.

- Nick

Oooppps!! And thanks pigoo3 for catching that. Wishful thinking forgetfulness on my part. :Blushing:

At least as far as the G5 is concerned. :D

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oooppps!! And thanks pigoo3 for catching that. Wishful thinking forgetfulness on my part. :Blushing:

I hear ya.:) That $20 Snow Leopard install disk is always a nice option for folks with "Intel Mac's" (that are compatible with 10.6).

Just checked eBay. I spotted some "Buy It Now" auctions for original 10.5 install DVD's disks for $35-$50. More than the $20 Snow Leopard disks…but a lot less than we've seen in the past when 10.5 disks were selling for $75-$100.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
The problem was evident before I purchased the disk.

Has anyone come across this problem before?
I have seen bulging capacitors cause this before but i find it funny that it doesn't fail until it's given instructions ie: opening the disk utility, etc...

OP
R
Reaction score
Update

Well, I replaced the hdd and it is still shutting down.
I doubt its the power supply so I'm going to replace the logic board. I see them selling for 10-50 bucks on ebay.WISH ME LUCK.!

I will keep you all posted.

Best regards,
RD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt its the power supply so I'm going to replace the logic board. I see them selling for 10-50 bucks on ebay.WISH ME LUCK.!

If you can get a logic board for $10…then go for it. But of you have to pay $30-$50…I would skip it. 100% operational Powermac G5's can be purchased for $50. I saw one sell on ebay a while back for $20.51.

I see them on Craig's List fairly often too. A local person was selling 8 of them recently for $50 each (all working 100%).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.