Problem installing MacOS to erased iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Because I didn't realise that it is possible to restore Catalina I tried to install Big Sur on old 2014 iMac. Everything seemed to be going well and there was 13 minutes left to complete the installation. An hour later there were still 13 minutes to go and the gauge hadn't moved. I stopped the installation and tried to restart the process but without success.

I have read Apple's "How to create a bootable installer for macOS, reformatted a new 32gb flash drive to Mac OS
Extended'. In my 'new' 2017 iMac, which has been upgraded to Big Sur, I clicked on Get Catalina and it started to download but that will take 4 hours. Unless I am sitting in front of the iMac when it finishes downloading it I am concerned that it will start the installation. Apple's instructions says 'If the installer opens after download, quit it without continuing the installation'. I aborted the download for the time being.

Even, if I manage to load the download onto the flash drive, will a new attempt to install Catalina on the 2014 iMac work or is it possible that the failure was caused by a hardware problem? It was working perfectly beforehand.

Reaction score
hi,

please make sure you will reinstall this iMac via internet recovery ( better via LAN cable, not wifi) - cmd+option/alt+R - format the disk (whole) first via disk utility once you’ll get to recovery menu, then reinstall Bug Sur ... I guess your iMac is capable of Big Sur - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238 - just for info ... sometimes it acts strange, so have faith & be patient :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Because I didn't realise that it is possible to restore Catalina I tried to install Big Sur on old 2014 iMac. Everything seemed to be going well and there was 13 minutes left to complete the installation. An hour later there were still 13 minutes to go and the gauge hadn't moved. I stopped the installation and tried to restart the process but without success.

I have read Apple's "How to create a bootable installer for macOS, reformatted a new 32gb flash drive to Mac OS
Extended'. In my 'new' 2017 iMac, which has been upgraded to Big Sur, I clicked on Get Catalina and it started to download but that will take 4 hours. Unless I am sitting in front of the iMac when it finishes downloading it I am concerned that it will start the installation. Apple's instructions says 'If the installer opens after download, quit it without continuing the installation'. I aborted the download for the time being.

Even, if I manage to load the download onto the flash drive, will a new attempt to install Catalina on the 2014 iMac work or is it possible that the failure was caused by a hardware problem? It was working perfectly beforehand.

The installer freezing like it did the first time certainly isn't normal and it's possible you have a hardware issue. It also could be just some bug with the Big Sur installer and your particular Mac. I would start over with Catalina or even Mojave to see if you can get that installed. You can then download Big Sur and try to upgrade.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
hi,

please make sure you will reinstall this iMac via internet recovery ( better via LAN cable, not wifi) - cmd+option/alt+R - format the disk (whole) first via disk utility once you’ll get to recovery menu, then reinstall Bug Sur ... I guess your iMac is capable of Big Sur - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238 - just for info ... sometimes it acts strange, so have faith & be patient :)
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just for information, when you download an installer, it will launch after the download, as you suspected. However, it will sit at a screen awaiting your approval to proceed, which is where you cancel out and then save the installer to be installed to a bootable USB drive to make a bootable USB installer. You don't have to be there when it finishes downloading as it will sit there forever waiting for your approval to continue.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for information, when you download an installer, it will launch after the download, as you suspected. However, it will sit at a screen awaiting your approval to proceed, which is where you cancel out and then save the installer to be installed to a bootable USB drive to make a bootable USB installer. You don't have to be there when it finishes downloading as it will sit there forever waiting for your approval to continue.
That proved to be the case as it downloaded more quickly than expected. I completed everything. It is odd that there doesn’t seem to be a way to check that Catalina has actually loaded without starting the set up process. I got help from Apple who told me to type in an instruction from Terminal. All that showed was that the original macOS, Yosemite, was still there. I will just have to say when I sell it that I installed Catalina from a bootable device but that worst case is Yosemite. At least I have satisfied myself that there hasn’t been any hardware damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.