Problem importing contacts to adress book

OP
H
Reaction score
I think we've covered this in your other threads.

Without context - to answer the question? "how can I convert textedit files to cvs files" & "Is there a program that can help me?"
The answer is that any text editor with search and replace functions can insert commas into text given a particular set of rules. Spreadsheet functions are also useful for this kind of manipulation.

However, given the context of your other thread. What you have is a list of email addresses harvested from a web site (whether these recipients will be receiving solicited or unsolicited emails from you is unclear from your posts).
You are trying to import these into a mail client. But address books in mail clients have rules as to what constitutes a contact. In this case you need at least a name and an email address.
Also to import into the address book you need to know the order of the fields.
e.g. if it's expecting fields in sequence: First name, surname, email address you will need to supply comma seperated data in the same format. I.e. John, Smith, [email protected]
In some cases you can omit data (depending on the clients import rules). So you may be able to have john,,[email protected] - where having no data in the second field 'skips' the surname column.

i was able to create a csv file but now face the "do not import" problem.any tips?

Picture 5.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's an improperly formatted csv file. In short, Address Book is reading all those email addresses as belonging to one person. What tool did you use?

OP
H
Reaction score
It's an improperly formatted csv file. In short, Address Book is reading all those email addresses as belonging to one person. What tool did you use?

the file apprently was opened with a program called "numbers" and it has displayed this message

Picture 6.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
which tool wold yu recomend to get proper csv fotmatting?
I can't think of a tool that will auto-format a document.

This is getting unnecessarily complicated. How about telling us what you're trying to do with what data and perhaps we can offer a better solution.

OP
H
Reaction score
I can't think of a tool that will auto-format a document.

This is getting unnecessarily complicated. How about telling us what you're trying to do with what data and perhaps we can offer a better solution.

i don't quite understand..i want to enter these emails into my adress book and form a group so i can send these people emails..?

i am a mac fan but if its that difficult to convert textedit files to csv files or directly import text files, the the mac people need to deliver solution for this problem...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off, let's keep the language simple here. Second, "the Mac people" aren't some homogeneous whole that have a perfect solution to everything. Third, I'm sure we'd be happy to help but you haven't been very clear about your source of data. The best we can glean from your posts is that you've tried to harvest emails from somewhere. I understand what you're trying to do but I need to know the source of these emails that you have in the text file to see if there is an easier solution.

OP
H
Reaction score
First off, let's keep the language simple here. Second, "the Mac people" aren't some homogeneous whole that have a perfect solution to everything. Third, I'm sure we'd be happy to help but you haven't been very clear about your source of data. The best we can glean from your posts is that you've tried to harvest emails from somewhere. I understand what you're trying to do but I need to know the source of these emails that you have in the text file to see if there is an easier solution.

i understand.i am just getting frustrated as mac usually IS very easy to use and i can't understand how importing emails,which i guess is the most important function of adress book can be so difficult...anyway,i got the emails from this site

Musiklehrer für Musiklehrer - Musiklehrerverzeichnis - Musikunterricht Verzeichnis - musiklehrer-fuer-musiklehrer.de

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.