Problem getting e-mail in Apple Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Until Thursday e-mails to my gmail account were sending and receiving normally. Yesterday I got a message saying "Enter the password for the account “****@gmail.com”. anOpen Safari. I entered my password and then got a message from MacOS (Developer info '[email protected]') saying it wants to access my Google Account to

"Read, compose, send and permanently delete all your email from Gmail

See, edit, download and permanently delete your contacts

See, edit, share and permanently delete all the calendars that you can access using Google Calendar

View and send chat messages"

At the bottom it asks me to "Make sure that you trust MacOS. Is this some kind of scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have noticed I have had to enter my gmail password a couple of times recently and it did open Safari. I did not get all the other stuff you got and I certainly would not allow any of those actions to occur.

I do know gmail rolled out a bunch of changes for their gmail service. This may be triggering the need for the password. I just put in the password and when Safari opens - I close it.

Lisa

krs

Reaction score
Are you guys/gals absolutely sure the request to enter the password is coming from google?

I don't use gmail, but it seems there is something fishy going on.
I would change my password pronto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I was asked to enter my gmail password (for Mail) last week, after I updated macOS (to 14.4) I believe. That was all, nothing else came from it.

krs

Reaction score
I was asked to enter my gmail password (for Mail) last week, after I updated macOS (to 14.4) I believe. That was all, nothing else came from it.

Depends how your gmail account is set up.
If you log into gmail directly and you are connected with https, then there is probably no problem.
But what the OP describes is quite different.

I always get cautious if something unexpected occurs where I'm asked for passwords ior similar that was never asked before.
These internet scams are getting more and more sophisticated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Until Thursday e-mails to my gmail account were sending and receiving normally. Yesterday I got a message saying "Enter the password for the account
If you log into gmail directly and you are connected with https, then there is probably no problem.
But what the OP describes is quite different.

I always get cautious if something unexpected occurs where I'm asked for passwords ior similar that was never asked before.
These internet scams are getting more and more sophisticated.

+1, I'd agree.

I'd suggest trying to do your gmail email using webmail and do some checking on possible phishing etc. and what the MacOS developer email stuff has to do with anything.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes it sounds a bit suss to me as well. My wife aquired a new iPhone XS in Australia last month and the same thing happened first time she opened Mail. She was asked to enter her gMail accounts (She has three) passwords via Safari on her laptop but, as above, that was all I think. This was the first time I became aware of this new process of logging into Google via Safari so I'm sure that's legit.

Reading the points listed above though I wonder if they have been recently added? In point of fact they are very similar to the conditions (permissions) that are described whenever I login to a account like Microsoft or Google. Its the "delete" bit that's different and it gives the first impression that Google can do all these things without your permission but these are the actions that we as users perform all the time and if that's what they are referring to it's just bad wording.

When you substitute "Access" for "Delete" it sounds pretty standard.

krs

Reaction score
Got me curious.
I signed up for a gmail account back somewhere around 2003 when one still had to be invited by another user to be able to sign up, but then I never really used it.
But I tried it right now logging in through Firefox and all I get is the request to enter my password and that's it.
Firefox happened to be my default browser, maybe that's why nothing different is happening than what I expected.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for suggestions. On my iPhone I use the gmail app instead of Apple mail and all e-mails to and from my gmail account work fine. If there isn't a Mac OS compatible app I may try Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there isn't a Mac OS compatible app I may try Thunderbird.

Hmmm...??? Apple's Mac OS X Mail.app sure comes to my mind. Is there something wrong with using it???

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick,

I should have made clear that the problem arises in Apple Mail. I have checked on Apple support and lots of people have had a problem with their gmail accounts since upgrading to 10.14.4. The solution is to delete your account from Mail and then set it up again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick,

I should have made clear that the problem arises in Apple Mail. I have checked on Apple support and lots of people have had a problem with their gmail accounts since upgrading to 10.14.4. The solution is to delete your account from Mail and then set it up again.

Once again, it seems like some sloppy programming at Apple's end and should have been fixed before 10.14.4. was released as the beta apparently had the problem as well. Not good.

Anyway did you see the possible fix here:
Mac Mail App Broken for Some Gmail Users in macOS Mojave 10.14.4
Wednesday March 27, 2019 4:33 PM PDT by Juli Clover

Mac Mail App Broken for Some Gmail Users in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 - MacRumors

Or, can you go back to using an earlier 10.14 version assuming Mail worked with your Gmail account.

Would you lose all your Gmail email if you delete your account and then set it up again.

That seems a bit odd that that would fix the problem.

In the interim, have you tried logging in as a new testuser and see if your same Mail/Gmail account would work??

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really I think deleting and reinstalling Gmail is the easiest answer.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't lose anything by deleting and re setting up gmail. My wife has 3 Gmail accounts (IMAP) and we removed Google from Internet Accounts on her MBP about a month ago due to issues syncing her new iPhone.
Using the same window we re added it, entered her Google password and all her accounts were added back to Mail. All her messages reloaded then everything was back to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ou don't lose anything by deleting and re setting up gmail. My wife has 3 Gmail accounts (IMAP) and we removed Google from Internet Accounts on her MBP about a month ago due to issues syncing her new iPhone.

Thanks Rod, but I gather the consequences could be quite different if one was using a POP Gmail account, but I'm not sure.

And can one archive the old emails to keep them accessible etc. when deleting and restoring a Gmail account???

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hey Patrick,

One more post and you're on 11 thousand. How do you do it? Anyway, we are grateful.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick,

One more post and you're on 11 thousand. How do you do it? Anyway, we are grateful.

Ian

Good grief, Ian, I hadn't even noticed!!

No wonder I seem to be taking a long time to get our 2018 Income Taxes completed as well as a few other incomplete 'round-tuit jobs and projects.

The Doctors said to "take things easy" and I took them at their word.

Now, will this make this my 11,000th post here!!! We should have a drink together to celebrate out on our deck as the sun is shining brightly here just before noon. But still a coolish nip in the air, even in the Sun.

Cheers!!! I hope you like local Canadian beer or wine. We even have some delicious locally-made cheeses here to go with them. :Smirk:

EDIT:
Hey, how about that.
Thanks Ian

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 11.36.16 AM.png

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Patrick

Cheers to you and family.

I've been in Canada a good many times, but sorry, always confined to Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton and London). It's a while since I've been, but I vaguely recollect a lovely beer, maybe called Molson? Not sure about the spelling.

When I visited, it was on my own (professional reasons); but my wife and I stayed with friends of hers on a good few occasions in Toronto - well to be more accurate, Unionville near Markham.

Even went to see the Maple Leaf Ice Hockey team one winter (the friends had season tickets) and got a puck as a souvenir when it went over the barrier near where we were sitting.

So I shall - from a distance - join you in a celebratory drink this evening - we are more into wine now.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woohoo! Congratulations Patrick.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick I'm not sure about archiving, neither my wife or I have ever really bothered with that option. Unless the originals have been deleted from the Gmail server they should all download again. Personally I either save content, attachments etc as documents or not. I don't keep anything over a year old as an email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.