Pro Keyboard Swap Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP, i7 with 16g ram, 500g SSD
Afternoon all, I have a question about swapping keyboards between two macbook pro models. I have an MD313LL/A A1278 late 2011 13" that appears to have a bad logic board-no power and none of the battery/cord tricks work. I also have a mid 2012 15" MD103LL/A A1286 that has a water damaged keyboard, SHIFT through M keys do not work.

The keyboards appear to be the same dimensions and plug, but I get conflicting info from parts suppliers. Before I tear both of them apart does anyone know if the keyboards are compatible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The keyboards appear to be the same dimensions and plug, but I get conflicting info from parts suppliers. Before I tear both of them apart does anyone know if the keyboards are compatible?

I would not bet that they're interchangeable. You can always try, but the danger in that is messing something else up in the process. As Bob pointed out above in his reply, the folks at ifixit carry the correct part if you should decide to go that way. And of course there is always eBay.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks y'all. I know it's hopeful optimism but I can't see any physical differences in them. My second option is to buy a used LB and KB from a mac shop here in town and and repair both. So I'm going to tear them both down and try it. I'll let everybody know tomorrow for science. It'll be awhile- I have a portable HD and a 5TB to back both up on my tower but it'll be slow going lol.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keyboards don't work. They are the same size/layout/pinout. A 13 keyboard plugged in to a 15 will work. But the connector is offset by about 5" on the larger unit and the power button lead is twice as long. You wouldn't be able to close it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.