"pritsey pritsey" need your HELP

M

mac*

hi, i am the guy wna buy the same ibook as you :p
i never use mac before, could please give me some suggestions about whether ibook is good for me(if following has some stupid Questions, i am really SORRY :p )

i will using my ibook to do media size programming in Java and C++(for assignments),do some Dreamweaver MX Fireworks MX Flash MX works, surf internet,word processing, chatting ,DVD,music. Do you think those applications can be handle well by (12'' G4 1G 512RAM)ibook.
Furthermore, if i want to connect the wireless internet of uni, what else should i buy(what is the difference between airport extreme and airport card, should i purchase both of them?)
what else additional items that i should have, do i need a antivirus like in PC :confused:

OP
F

flonejek

Well my ibook is slightly faster than yours, and handles all the aforementioned stuff easily, so you should be fine application wise.

You should get an airport extreme card, supports the latest (802.11g) and the second latest (802.11b) wireless networks with WEP, WPA and some other security stuff, mine works seamlessly with my 802.11b netgear wireless adsl router.

As for extra software, I just got darwinports working (a tad tricky, read the full documentation first), and use OSS software for nearly everything...

reccomendations:
chatting: Adium
filesharing: xDonkey
programming: Xcode (duh! :)
word processing: AppleWorks (I know Office 2004 for is better, but only marginally, and Appleworks documents are more nicely formatted, it supports more formats, and the filesizes are usually less bloated, as well as quite clean html generation)
internet: Firefox (use only when safari fails you, you could use camino, but firefox has a later version of gecko and is great for javascript programming/XUL)

You'll never need an antivirus (as by default you aren't running as root, so only stuff you have in your home dir can be damaged by a virus, and there's no malicious one's for mac OSX yet, only proof of concept ones), and mac OSX has a good firewall built in, though you probably won't need that either.

OP
M

mac*

programming: Xcode

do we need to buy those softwares ,or we can download them form web(if it does, please tell me some good webs for downloading mac software ;) )
how can we extract the zip file or RAR in mac? do we need some special software, is it free?
thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mac* said:
programming: Xcode

do we need to buy those softwares ,or we can download them form web(if it does, please tell me some good webs for downloading mac software ;) )
how can we extract the zip file or RAR in mac? do we need some special software, is it free?
thx

Try www.versiontracker.com

I didn't try RAR, but ZIP files don't need additional software.
And Xcode is included with Mac OS X, on the Developper tool CDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.