printing wirelessly to canon printer from mavericks

Reaction score
I print wirelessly to a Canon Pro 9000 Mark II from two desktop Macs through airport – one running snow leopard, one running mountains lion. Connections work fine, everything prints fine.

Purchased (2) new MacBook Pros both running mavericks 10.9.4 (1 older without retina, 1 newer with retina).

Installed printer drivers for mavericks which appear to be correct. Selected the printer in the system preferences under printers and scanners. However, I can ONLY print to the cannon from the macbook pro if the printer is plugged directly into the macbook pro using USB. When unplugged, the macbook pro tells me the printer is offline. Both macbook pros are able to use the internet wirelessly, so I know the network is working.

Mavericks seems to have created a printing problem for many folks out there. As soon as they upgrade to mavericks, they can't print.

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Getting any Canon printer to print wireless can be a pain. What you need to do:

Completely remove the Canon using System Preferences, Printers & Scanners. Install the Canon again via USB and then use the Canon wireless installation instructions from the booklet that came with your Canon. The wireless wizard will then run and should step you through the setup. I had to do that with my Canon printer and it works. You might also go to the Canon site and make sure you have the latest drivers for Mavericks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.